Question for simy1

I went to a local nursery today and bought broccoli, mesclun, red chard, snap peas, and romain plants and radish seeds. Most of the vegetables you mentioned are not available here--even as seeds. Am still cleaning out the summer garden, and we still have tomatoes, squash, eggplant, melons and cucumbers. It may be fall, but we still have day temps in the upper 80s. You mentioned garlic shoots. Should I just plant garlic cloves?

Diane

Reply to
Diane McGill

In case simy is bz.

Soil temp and moisture are the big factors for fall crops. I have cilantro coming up from self seeding already and it has been hot. I planted spinach, the cole crops and a bunch more of cilantro last weekend hoping for some rain this week. Plant some every couple of weeks.

And yes, plant the cloves, trim the tops.

John! > I went to a local nursery today and bought broccoli, mesclun, red chard,

Reply to
GA Pinhead

the soil is warm, you can plant anything with the few exceptions I mentioned early. I buy my cool weather seeds at Territorial Seeds, if you order via the web today you will have them in two days in the mail. Keep the unused seeds in the freezer in a ziploc bag and they will last forever.

For the garlic shoots, I am not familiar with the warmer weather varieties, but yes, I plant cloves, or better, bulbils from last year's crop, in october. In my case, they come up when the weather warms again in early march. In your case they may come up sooner. Any warm weather garlic grower here?

anyway, with the lettuce, mesclun and the radishes you will have something in 5 weeks. The chard will kick in in 10 weeks or so and the peas and broccoli in 12-14. Temperatures in the 80s is just perfect for planting seeds. They will take off, then mature during the cooler fall days.

Reply to
simy1

Thanks to both of you for your replies. Planting for winter is something new to me. Hope I have success.

Diane

Reply to
Diane McGill

this is from yesterday's SF Chronicle, about october gardenning tasks in the Bay Area

-- For the winter vegetable garden, plant bok choy, broccoli, Brussels sprout, cabbage, cauliflower, chard, Chinese cabbage, garlic, leek, lettuce and spinach from nursery seedlings, and beets, carrots, onions, peas and radishes from seeds.

Reply to
simy1