question about tomato color

Folks -
This is the second year we've put in a garden and we LOVE it. However, we have discovered that this years' crop of tomatoes and zucchini have thick skins and are a bit chewy.... The tomatoes have mottled appearance red, and a smattering of yellow tint... not spots, exactly... also, when the tomato is cut, there are small white spots near the skin.
The internal color of the 'matos are fine, flavor, texture (other than the skin) are all good.... The zukes are okay too, 'cept that the skin is too thick. Neither has kilt us off yet, so it can't be too bad.... I just want some big juice tomatoes I can eat over the sink!
If they were running for President this year, I could understand it. Despite my best efforts, the garden remains fiercely apolitical. And here I was getting all worked up because the tomatoes were RED.
Seriously, I'd appreciate some feedback for those of you in the know.
John Moorhead Northern California
On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 04:49:29 GMT, "John Moorhead"

I grow Black Krim tomatoes, and sometimes think they look like raw ground beef when you look at them. The taste is well worth it, though. (snip)
Look for Stink Bugs feeding on the tomatoes.....
wrote:

we
and
tomato
beef
| Folks - | | This is the second year we've put in a garden and we LOVE it. However, we | have discovered that this years' crop of tomatoes and zucchini have thick | skins and are a bit chewy.... The tomatoes have mottled appearance red, and | a smattering of yellow tint... not spots, exactly... also, when the tomato | is cut, there are small white spots near the skin.
Small white spot near the skin strongly suggests your tomatoes have 'bacterial spot' disease. They are safe to eat, but not to preserve by canning. I bet you also have white spots on your leaves.
From what I have read, bacterial spot comes courtesy of the seeds. You can gain some control over the disease with regular spraying w/fungicides.
--
TQ