Question about growing herbs in containers

I've decided to try growing herbs this year. Because my limited ground space is taken up with vegetables I've purchased some containers - 15" by 31". The packages say that they (thyme, oregano, basil, sage and tarragon) will thrive in pots, but there's nothing about how many per pot. The instructions are for in ground growing and most say that the plants should be 8 to 18 inches apart. Well, that wouldn't be very many per container (2 or 3) and the pictures on the packets make it look as though they are really packed into the pots. I have one container per herb. I live in Central California so there's no need to start these indoors and transplant. Any advice will be much appreciated. Sue

For a number of years I had a herb garden on my apartment balcony using pots. 6-8" pots will work just fine - one plant per pot. Sage and rosemary will probably need 10-12" pots. Large basil plants might prefer a 10" pot. Just remember to water frequently during hot weather. You could also try the balcony railing planters - about 8" by 24" to hold about 4 plants.
Good Luck!
At the end, before I bought my house, I even had a couple of 6-7' bay laurels in 24" pots, elephant ears, and a fountain out on the balcony.
- Mark
On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 11:41:54 -0400, Mark A.Meggs

Thanks for your advice. I've just pretty much put the entire packs in the containers and will thin accordingly.

A bay laurel? Good God! What a balcony you must have had. Sue

My laurel bays are an easy 40' tall.
--

Billy

The Murder of Rachel Corrie

On a balcony in a 24" pot? Must be some balcony!!
Unfortunatley, here in the Ohio valley it gets cold enough in winter to freeze bay laurel back to the ground. Usually the roots survive. In the apartment days, they got cut back and moved indoors on the coldest days.
- Mark

It was a nice little green oasis up on the second floor. The bay laurels provided some much needed shade since I had 10' of glass facing due west

- Mark

It's really a matter of what my friends use because I doubt that I'll use much of any of them. Most of what I grow in my garden (tomatoes, zukes, bells) I give away. I freeze my green beans to use throughout the winter in soups. I'm going to get back into canning my tomatoes (I had way too many full jars) last year. Your advice is sound, though. Thanks. I will probably be drying most of what I grow. That will be another question a few months from now. :o) Sue

Invest in a good dehydrator, altho' for herbs, a simple box fan and a couple of cheap AC filters will work in a pinch.

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

Herbs can amplify the quality of a mean, and a good meal can be a civilizing influence (See :"Babette's Feast", (Amazon.com product link shortened) and http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Babette_s_Feast/60003616?trkid "2336&lnkctr =srchrd-sr&strkid17022787_0_0 for reviews).
In
In "Sweet Land" (http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Sweet_Land/70057103?trkid "2336&lnkctr=src hrd-sr&strkid88700644_0_0 and (Amazon.com product link shortened)) even good coffee can be seductive.
Just about any vegetable can be improved by sauteing it in butter with shallots and italian parsley.
--

Billy

The Murder of Rachel Corrie