Question about fertilizers.

David, sorry to have to use this wacko's post to reply to an old discussion about whether only salts from commercial chemical fertilizers can burn plant roots, or whether they can be burned by ammonia from decomposing proteins as well. I was rummaging around old "postings", and found this.

It is part of an ancient discussion that Fran and I had about the merits of fresh vs. aged organic fertilizers (poop).

From: "FarmI" Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible Subject: Ping Billy Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 18:54:34 +1000

The Rodale book of composting By Deborah L. Martin, Grace Gershuny

I have found the Rodale books are good ones so what it said made sense to me.

It says of fresh vs rotted/aged manure that: i) in the composting process, manure can lose up to half it's moisture content and thus concentrate nutrients ii) nitrogen in composted manure is fixed whereas in fresh, it's soluble iii) solubility of P and K is greater in composted manure and on P.125 it says

that "when manure is added directly to the soil, it generally releases highly soluble nitrates that behave similarly to chemical fertilisers,

** as well as ammonia, which can burn plant roots and interfere with seed germination." **
Reply to
Billy

On Jun 26, 10:27=A0am, Billy wrote more stupid BS:...

"...that "when manure is added directly to the soil, it generally releases highly soluble nitrates that behave similarly to chemical fertilisers"

Really little billy?

Seems its the Ammonia Hydroxide concentration breakdown from fresh manure that "burns" plants. So why does this organic chemical behave similarly to "chemical fertilisers" ?

Hummm? So I wonder if the chemicals might be similar because they ARE the same? Wouldn't it be weird to discover that organic stuff you worship so much makes the very salts as the devil Chemfertie thingie you so ignorately use in your old think hippie political diatribes? Wow, that would be weird and make your many stupid cherry picked Amazon =93citations=94 so =85.well, ignorant comes to mind.

So again, David tops ya billy.

Reply to
Gunner