Q : how late can I plant tomato seeds?

Living in Edinburgh, UK (Southern Scotland, coastal), I sowed my tomato seeds at the very beginning of April this year as our frosts gasped their last. The toms I planted were some patio ones maturing in 55 days determinate and a 75-80 day indeterminate climber. I planted a few more than I had pots and today offered them on our local recycling mailing list and was totally swamped with requests to pick them up.
What is the window for planting these sort of toms and still getting a crop? I was thinking do I still have time to plant more or should I wait till next season. Our growing season here really starts in April, plant outdoors in early May, expect them to be dieing off in early October.

My growing season on the US mid-Atlantic coast is about the same as your season. I plant my late season tomat seeds (52 day Early Girl - indeterminate vine) in mid-June and set them in the garden mid-July. They start ripening mid-September and go until the late October frost.
On Wed, 10 May 2006 20:16:45 -0400, "TQ" <ToweringQs AT adelphia.net> wrote:

Thanks for the reassurance. I have sown a few more Gold Nugget 55-days and will hope we get enough warm weather to make them do their stuff.
Daniel.