puzzled

hi, im new to site, ive found a few plants growing in my garden, and one in a jar on window sill, which look like tomatoes, had small white flowers with yellow centre, so i thought maybe my grankids have thrown an old tom, from a sandwich, and they have took , so i nursed them alaong, but the trusses, bunch like toms, but on riening the fruit looks like a blackberry or other black fruit.......any ideas please, oh by the by, its healthy....alan
--
sonofquassie23

Sounds like a type of deadly nightshade...
--
Peace! Om

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot
sonofquassie23 said:

Odds are strongly in favor of this being some sort of at least mildly or potentially poisonous nightshade.
Like, say, this one: http://cal.vet.upenn.edu/projects/poison/plants/ppblani.htm
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"So, it was all a dream."
snipped-for-privacy@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

Well... there are more possibilities than these options but you could have deadly nightshade, black nightshade which is also known as deadly nightshade.
...and I think it's a winnable bet that you have black nighshade.
As pretty as the plants are, I'd take this as a teachable moment if the grandkids are old enough for it and show them the plant, fruit etc. while you are working very hard and fast to get it all out "because it's poison."
@yahoo.com says...

You are UK... right?
I'm in Canada, so all bets are off as to type, but I'd still look into the issue very carefully... and I'd still bet poisonous.
phorbin;862445 Wrote:

While I agree that you most likely have a poisonous nightshade there is a slight possibility that it is an heirloom tomato (tomatoes are part of the nightshade family). Now as this is a small possibility I would not take a chance on trying the fruit. If you live in the UK you could try using the RHS advisory service http://tinyurl.com/maa9tr who should be able to give you a more positive identification. For more on heirloom tomatoes http;//www.growingyourownveg.com/tomatotypes.php
--
spes123