Purple Pole Beans?

Page 1 of 2
I just love purple beans (they turn green when you cook them). But all I have been able to find are the bush type. Does anyone know of a purple pole bean variety?
On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 21:39:56 -0500, Phaedrine Stonebridge

Sigh. Search on "purple pole bean".

http://www.vermontbean.com/detail.cfm?SKU 177 Vermont Bean has the variety that Henry Field touted for years but no longer sells.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (FarmerDill) wrote:

You're right! I yanked out the VBSC catalogue and it was kinda tucked in between the cowpeas and bush beans. And they are only 65 days so I am going to order some. :) Thanks! They also have the streaked "Rattlesnake" variety which is very tasty too. :)

Order early. We've been ordering from Vermont Bean for several years, and they've been very slow the last two years. It seemed like they shipped things out this year based on who had called to complain lately. Luckily I had leftover seed from last year for most things.
--
Aaron
snipped-for-privacy@esc.pike.il.us

Our order this year was staggered in 5-6 seperate mailings from them! And it was not a large order as we obtained most of our seeds from other sources. OTOH, they sent us a large quantity of free peas described only as "experimental". LOL. I hope they get over their problems as they have always been one of my favorite suppliers.

That happened to us last year, when we received about six different shipments. They said the reason for the delays was a fire in a warehouse somewhere that destroyed a lot of seed. Shipping costs must have killed them, which is probably why this year it took forever for us to get our seeds, but they did come in one package.

I wish they'd tell what the experimentals are, so if they do well, you can look for them next year. We always order enough to get the free peas, beans, and corn.

Same here, but we're at least checking out some other catalogs before next year. As I understand it, Vermont Bean has been involved in a merger/buy-out with Jung's and Shumway's sometime in the last few years, and I wonder if business is getting lost in the shuffle.
--
Aaron
snipped-for-privacy@esc.pike.il.us

Oh that would be really sad.

You have no cause to be snarky; purple, edible podded pole beans are hardly ubiquitous. I *have* searched every one of our 60-70 garden catalogues as well as google w/o much luck. Mayhap you were unaware that some varieties of purple and red are not really edible podded. We already, in fact, purchased and planted one type only to find out later it is not an edible pod. I was hoping someone here had experience they might kindly share. Obviously your experience falls in another realm, Prince Charming. (:P

Had you not lied about googling "numerous" varieties, I'd give you slightly more credibility. If you want to be constructive, then I am glad to talk with you. If not, then find another target because I see no need to reinforce your fractiousness.
On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 16:47:25 -0500, Phaedrine Stonebridge

King of the Blues Trionfo Violetto Purple Queen ROYALTY PURPLE TEEPEE PURPLE POLE BEAN

Look, I don't want to belabor this but the sighs and the chiding were entirely unnecessary and rude behavior. In addition, I do not like to be taken out of context. What I said BEFORE I asked that question was this: "I just love purple beans (they turn green when you cook them). But all I have been able to find are the bush type."
Don't you think the phrase, "all I have been able to find" suggests that I had already done some looking? If I had repeatedly asked fundamental questions in this NG, obviously without taking time to research them on my own, then you might have had some cause for irritation. But I have not done that. In addition, since I recently started posting again to RGE, I have done my best to contribute. I think my post just found you in an off mood. However, being fellow gardeners, I am more than willing to gracefully accept your apology and put this matter aside.
. :: offers a handshake ::
I will go root away The noisome weeds which without profit suck The soil's fertility from wholesome flowers.
~~~Shakespeare, Richard II .
In our last fun filled episode, Thu, 17 Jul 2003 13:36:54 -0500,
proclaimed:

It's Usenet, get over yourself.
Pam

Up yours you silly witch.
rec.gardens.edible:

Usenet is an excuse for rudeness? -- Gardening Zones Canada Zone 5a United States Zone 3a Near Ottawa, Ontario

Yeah. Anonymity brings out the ____ in people. (Fill in blank as needed.) Ken A.
On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 11:59:32 -0400, Jim Carter

Would *you* like to point out the rudeness in my posts on this subject?
rec.gardens.edible:

My comment is aimed at whoever feels that rudeness is acceptable and normal behaviour on usenet. Rudeness is not necessary or acceptable anywhere. I do not think you are the one who said it was. -- Gardening Zones Canada Zone 5a United States Zone 3a Near Ottawa, Ontario
On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 21:39:56 -0500, Phaedrine Stonebridge

Pinetree Gardens has them. The variety is 'PURPLE TRIONFO VIOLETTO'.
See: http://www.superseeds.com/VegA-B.htm (and scroll way down to find them).
Pat

Thanks so much! I am going to order some now. :)