Pumpkins?

I have pumpkins of all sizes on my 3 plants. Several of them are quite big now, but as this is the first time I've grown them I'm not sure *when* to harvest them. I've read that they need to be "hardened" before storage, but when do you know they are ready to be picked? Any tips appreciated!
Jayne
Jayne said:

Same as squash. Leave them on the vine as long a possible, and pick before hard frost threatens.
The stems should be hard (like very hard wood). The rind should be tough enough that you can't pierce if with your thumbnail.
You can't reliably go by color (particularly with carving pumpkins) as some have been bred to color up early and may be orange long before they are hard enough to last well off the vine.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI