Pumpkin Vines

Hi, I am growing pumpkins in my garden. However, I had now idea they would take over that much space. Can you trellis the vines? Any pointers on how to get the plants not to take up so much space??

Reply to
Brian

Just prune out a few of the lines.   Then 'gently' redirect the keepers. You'll get larger squash that way.

Reply to
Blues Ma

Yes, they can be trellised. It must be a very strong trellis and you will need to make shelves or slings to support the fruit. The downside is that the trellised vines will not be able to root, making the whole plant more vulnerable to total loss if the main stem is damaged by borers.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

you could try what i've been doing the last couple of years: grow your squash babies in boxes on your deck (patio, terrace, etc) and let the vines drop over the side. as the fruit starts developing, cover them, carefully, with pieces of cut-off panty hose (knee to toe parts) and then the squash will not fall upon your heads as it ripens.

really!!! it works...for melons, too!

Reply to
<bluesalyxx

Does this work for squashes like zucchini and acorn as well?

Reply to
nutNhoney

Does anyone know if the plants can be replanted elsewhere?

Reply to
Jackee

Hi Brian, No real advice for you, just a "me too" here. I planted 6 pumpkins in one 8x6' bed and had no idea they'd all survive and thrive. Now they're taking over the garden! They're grabbing hold of the sunflowers and cornstalks, which is okay, but on the other side they've invaded the pole beans and are working their way over to the watermelons and artichokes. Yikes!! Heck, I'm just gonna let 'em go and sort of "redirect" them if I don't like the direction they head off in.. ;^)

Such fun, I just LOVE this time of year!

karen

Reply to
Karen Zack