Pumpkin vine reapair?

Hi,

Well yesterday I posted about our first pumpkin appearing but now I'm a little worried about it.

The pumpkin was growing on a portion of the vine that had run up a weeping pine tree we have in our front yard. I was concerned about growing a pumpkin a few feet above ground so I decided to cut the tendrils and get the vine back on the ground. The vine was actually already kinked from the way it was growing up the tree but when I got it on the ground I could see that the vine was bent and cracked although not completely broken. It was leaking a little fluid though. I did some searching on the web and it seems that people have used medical tape in this situation so I took a shot at taping it up. I also burried a portion of the vine beyond the kink in hopes of getting some new roots started. I did this right by a leaf where I could see a little nub under the vine that looked like it might start a new root.

I've got my fingers crossed now for our little pumpkin. It is 2 inches by 1 1/2 inches as of this morning. Looks like quite a few new ones are starting now but hopefully this first one will survive. All of the leaves and vine beyond the kink seem healthy at this point and the little pumpkin looks fine.

Can vines withstand this sort of tearing and repair themselves?

Would appreciate any feedback on this.

Thanks, Steve - anxious pumpkin farmer

Reply to
szeik