Pumpkin question

Having never grown a pumpkin before, I'm wondering at what point I should remove the pumpkin from the vine. I have two pumpkins growing and one is already totally orange. Seems early to me. Should I cut it off or leave it for a while?
When I purchased the start, its label identified it as a mini pumpkin, but these two the size of bowling balls. Not very "mini" in my estimation.
Karen

baking you need to let the pumpkins get ripe inside as well as orange on the outside. If only for decoration can pick sooner.
Harold
harold wrote:

They also keep longer if you let them mature more fully.
Steve
Thank you both. I'll let them stay on the vine until October.
karen

<snip>

<snip>
Speaking from experience, I can say that the color is a necessary but not sufficient indicator of ripeness.
Let them get good and orange and good and _hard_ -- hard enough that the rind can't be punctured by your fingernail. I think it's also good to wait until the stem is fully dry. By then the vines should be dead or dying anyhow.
-- dkra
--
dkraatmmiiidotixdotnetcomdotcom
[Subtract two thousand and (one plus two), plus the "." of course.]

Thanks, that info will help a lot. I wish there was a similar test to determine when to pick pears!
karen