Pruning apple trees

Hi,
I have some new two year old apple wipes that are to be made into a belgium fence (espalier). Spaced every 2 feet or so. I was told to prune the wipes to 18 inches and new growth would appear right at the cut with new shoots all around the cut. I am getting new growth within one inch of the cut and below; but not at the cut. I have never seen growth right at the cut before in any pruning of apple trees.
Does this happen?
Ken
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

No it happens at buds.