Provado on Tomatoes :(

Hi all and sorry if this has been asked before ( although quite unlikel

as my mum's pretty unique ).

Basically my mum thought she'd fed her 15 tomato plants tomato feed bu after feeding she realised she's actually fed them some stuff called Provado Vine Weevil killer 2.

In a panic she then tried to over water them and subsequently washed i all over her runner beans which were below her hanging basket tomato's

Understandably she's gutted to the point of nearly being in tears so said i'd try and find out of anyone knows how dangerous this Provado i and if there's anything she can do other than destroy all her plants.

Thanks to anyone that can offer advice,

Jim

-- jim38curl

Reply to
jim38curl

pretty nasty chemical, it is made to be absorbed directly by the plants root systems, so it will end up in the plants leaves and fruit (so oo kill any insect that eats the leafs). I'm afraid the soil will have to be thrown out too (or better yet just use it for flowers from now on).

steve

Reply to
bungalow_steve

**http%3a//
think I would call them.

Reply to
aluckyguess

But...but...but... won't it hurt the flowers?

Persephone

Reply to
Persephone

sometime in the recent past jim38curl posted this:

Hopefully you took the stuff (and whatever other poisons your mum is holding onto) to the hazardous waste recylcling station so that it can be destroyed properly.

This is rec.gardens.EDIBLE isn't it? Not rec.gardens.POISON-ME-A-LITTLE-BIT

Reply to
Wilson

We're completely organic here but

A quick dip into the net suggests that the stuff (imidacloprid) remains=20 active in the plant for six weeks.

I'm with someone else who suggested contacting Bayer.

Much as I deplore the use of any synthetic pesticide, rashly tossing=20 food plants would be an error if the solution is to wait six weeks and=20 then start harvesting for the table. --It means you've not lost the=20 whole growing and/or harvest season.

And if that -is- the solution, and there's ripe fruit in the interim I'd=20 pick it, compost it and keep waiting.

May I suggest that colour coding her fertilizers and poisons is a good=20 idea. An obvious thick line of red, green, yellow and black around the=20 neck of every bottle, depending on its use, could prevent this from=20 happening again.

Reply to
phorbin

Storing them in separate locations would help too.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Thanks for the chuckle. :-)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

I'd be concerned about something getting stored in the wrong location.

IMO the better way is to engineer the packaging in some obvious way to make errors harder.

Reply to
phorbin