protecting pumpkins?

we are growing a couple of pumpkins, (whew, the vines!) should i be turning them? newspaper underneath them? anything?

-- read and post daily, it works! rosie

"Intelligence is not to make no mistakes but to quickly see how to make the good" -- The Measures Taken

Reply to
rosie readandpost

i don't do anything with mine just leave them until the vine begins to die then pick them. also found by accident that the stem can break real easy if you try to move the fruit.

len

Reply to
len brauer

if your ground is wet a small bed of dry grass clippings or hay can be very helpfull in preventing rot/soft spots. Also, you can play around with the shape by rolling them gently (watch the stem) if you want.

Mark

rosie readandpost wrote:

Reply to
Mark & Shauna

A flat brick. Keeps them from getting soft underneath.

We've had so much rain and clouds that when the afternoon sun hit the acorn squash today it started wilting and nearly dying from the intense rays. It sprouted back just as soon as the sun went down behind some trees. They are gonna be big ones this year, I'm alread getting the maple syrup ready heheh

Dan

Reply to
dstvns

My husband grows Big Max pumpkins. That's what we have this year. In the past, he's grown Atlantic Giants, too. When the pumpkins are still small, he carefully stands them up, and as they grow bigger, he carefully lifts up the vine from the top so the pumpkin has more room to grow. So far so good that none of the vines have broken off. We mulch the pumpkin patch with old hay before the vines get out of hand, so we haven't had a problem with rot. Not that it would be a problem this year. We live in west central Wisconsin, and it is very hot and very dry this year. Over the past month, we've gotten a half inch of rain total.

Good luck with your pumpkins!

LeAnn

Author of the book ? Christmas In Dairyland (True Stories From a Wisc. Farm) Visit ?

read sample chapters and other Rural Route 2 stories and to order the book. (FREE shipping on autographed copies)

Reply to
MacTech