Protecting Fruit Trees

Hi,
Been a while since I posted. Need some opinions.
Its about to get very cold in the UK and I was wondering whether I should wrap up and protect my cherry tree.
Its a 3 yr old sunburst on a giesela5 rootstock. It was in a pot until November and since then Ive transplanted it into the ground (in Nov). Its on a south southeast facing wall and fairly sheltered.
Ive bubble wrapped the more exposed branches.
Any advice?
Cheers
--
gasdoctor

where these is lots of highly qualified support.
Good luck!
--
Gopher .... I know my place!

Gopher wrote:

Hi take exception to the need to go to a UK newsgroup to get help. There is nothing in the original request that is peculiar to the UK.
I'm not sure how cold it gets in your part of the UK, but I will try to cover most cases.
For very cold conditions, fruit trees should have an insulating layer of mulch around the base (not right up to trunk). About 2 to 3 inches of thickness should do. Winter sun can sometimes burn the trunk, so you may want to put something like a plastic tree wrap around the main trunk to protect it. Since you tree is sheltered from most of the strong winter winds, you need not take any more protective measures. If the ground is not frozen, you should give it a good watering before the ground freezes. If you have critters like rabbits around, you put a tall wire fence around the base of the tree, as these kinds of animals might chew on the bark, especially if they are having trouble finding food in the winter.
Hope this helps,
Sherwin
sherwin dubren;828835 Wrote: > Gopher wrote:-

> until

> UK.

> try

> layer

> inches

> so

> main

> measures.

> before

Cheers, I mulched the tree earlier.
Ill take the wrap off when the snow subsides.
--
gasdoctor