Protecting brassiccas

Hi
I just wondered how long i should keep my brassiccas covered for? I have Kale, Calabrese and various cabbages covered with Enviromesh and just wondered if they should stay like this until they are harvested or can they be uncovered?
Should i also keep my taller brassiccas covered i.e. Brussels and Purple Sprouting Broc? If so how do people do this?
Thanks for your time
--
mw80

On 28/07/08 19:35, mw80 wrote:

There is no reason at all why you should not continue to leave the brassicas covered if that is possible. After all, depending on you will continue to get protection against predators until harvest time. So , I definitely leave my cabbages under the mesh.
But there must be enough slack in the mesh cover to allow for the growth of the taller plants. In my case there was not. So last week I removed the enviromesh cover and immediately replaced it with a sufficiently high cage I made out of stout canes and netting to protect against the butterflies and birds.
Ed

Cabbage moths will continue to lay eggs until the weather gets too cold and they die off, so i would keep the veges covered if at all possible.
David