Problem with Lemon tree

Hope someone can help. I live in mid west France and I have a lemon tree. The first year I had a good crop of lemons but last winter all the leaves dropped because it was wintered in the garage. It was brought indoors and the leaves recovered in time for spring. However since then the leaves have been pointing upwards and and have folded. I repotted about 4 weeks ago and noticed that there were yellow eggs amongst the roots. These eggs were 3- 4mm in dia and milky inside when squashed. I washed the roots and sterilized the pot but leaves have not changed. I have also sprayed the tree to kill amy spider mites. I would be grateful for any advice.

Reply to
metty54

metty54 ha scritto:

You cannot keep a plant in a garage! A plant need light to grow. Lemon keep its leaf during the winter so need light also during this season. A plant take advantage of sun-light not only for its growth, but also for many morpho-physiological functions, so that you can impair it acting this way.

It was

Probably the plant was in place where light was not enough again, so its leaves directed to the sun to allow the plant to sirvive.

When a plant suffers bad environmental conditions weakens and parasites can impair it. >These eggs were 3- 4mm in dia and milky inside when > squashed.

In this case the plant has probably been suffering a nematode attack and has developed root gals, a kind of fito-hormonal reaction to nematode attacks.

I washed the roots and sterilized the pot but leaves have not

I have also sprayed the tree to kill amy spider mites. I would

This is an other sign the plant weakened.

Have you killed all the mites, or do you need any advice about an effective agro-chemical?

About nematodes generally it also depends from the a varietal sensitivity.

Anyway you can try to kill them by means of a systemic nematocide, or better you can make a green manure adding Sinapis alba (white mustard), or other brassicaceae to the soil. Hope this helps. Bye, L.F.

Reply to
news-search

Many thanks for your advice, the tree has been moved to a brighter outlook.

John

Reply to
metty54