Pricing nonsense

reporters are doing in their endevour to get so-called news. Nancy doesn't read everything, or, rather anything that should be read before signing.

Nuts? No, that's the general population. Different, yes. They're not all the same and like you as you would like us all to be Nancy.

Call? Nope, it doesn't take a genius to fund sources of tea parties info and their own declared basis for these legal, quiet protests. Has little to do with protesting taxes, just why new taxes are needed, spending. That would put Nancy out of work, oops.

Reply to
Dioclese

Even if one must pay a higher price for a single four or six incher, the return is well worth the price, given the alternative of industrial food.

Well met, good to have folks like you on-group.

Vive la révolution de jardin Charlie

"While it is true that many people simply can't afford to pay more for food, either in money or time or both, many more of us can. After all, just in the last decade or two we've somehow found the time in the day to spend several hours on the internet and the money in the budget not only to pay for broadband service, but to cover a second phone bill and a new monthly bill for television, formerly free. For the majority of Americans, spending more for better food is less a matter of ability than priority. p.187" ? Michael Pollan (In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto)

Reply to
Charlie

Your sig line makes me laugh. It is true, people who are willing to spend extra on services they don't need will turn up their noses at spending more for better food, citing that fresh foods and organic produce are just too expensive. Most people would rather live on macaroni and frozen entrees so that they can afford their second car and their cable TV. Any time I hear people in my community--where the houses are large and the cars impressive--complaining of not having enough money to buy good food, I scratch my head in confusion. To me, food is the FIRST priority. I let my kids run wild in the produce section, and I don't even look at the prices. The cost is irrelevant; eating well is top priority. And if that means I have to see fewer movies or buy fewer CDs, oh well. The health of me and my family comes first. It's insane to ration where food quality is concerned.

--S.

Reply to
Suzanne D.

Amen, Sister! I remember our boys choosing anything they wanted in the produce section....some things didn't turn out well for their palates, but hey, they kept at it. Today they eat well and their children are fed healthy food. We take the grandkids to market and the oldest is my official picker and chooser, especially when it comes to sweet corn. He always gets an ear (which I pay for) and tastes it raw. If he is satisfied, we buy.

THe grands love being in the garden and sampling veggies fresh from the vine, ground, etc. We always have pots with cherry tomatoes on the patio and they graze on them all day.

Care Charlie

"Households that have lost the soul of cooking from their routines may not know what they are missing: the song of a stir-fry sizzle, the small talk of clinking measuring spoons, the yeasty scent of rising dough, the painting of flavors onto a pizza before it slides into the oven." ? Barbara Kingsolver

Reply to
Charlie

I have four boys, ages 3-12, and they all LOVE vegetables. We have a sizeable garden, and in the summer it is the norm for them to play outside and nibble all day as they go. A cucumber in one hand, tomato in the other, mouth full of beans or baby corn--this is their season! They are fussing because it's been months since they've gotten to pick stuff. Everyone is eyeing the pea vines and newly-flowering pepper plants with greed. Already nibbling parsley because it's the only thing edible right now. I think having your own garden is the best way to get kids interested in eating vegetables.

--S.

Reply to
Suzanne D.

The best of times.

Enjoying life !

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Indeed, I agree! I remember my daughter pulling up my radish plants and munching away..Soil and all. This will be the first summer my GD is going to help her Zeto in the garden, I'm looking forward to it, although I may need to fence in the 'maters. 8-).....Nah, let'r pick.

Reply to
Tim

Yep, my 2-year-old last year never bothered to clean off his carrots. He hasn't died yet, so I guess it was okay.

Absolutely. Now, I admit that when the tomatoes are fairly new and sparse, I sometimes tell the kids to lay off certain plants, knowing that I will need those fruits myself soon. Same with pickling cukes when I need a whole batch of a specific size. But when summer's on and the plants are producing all over the place, the kids get free roam of the garden. Nothing healthier, and it doesn't last, so why not? (We also have numerous apricot, peach, cherry, and other fruit trees that the kids get first pick from, before we gather the rest for jam or wine.)

--S.

Reply to
Suzanne D.