Pricing nonsense

Page 1 of 2
Just back from H. Depot and W-Mart. I wanted to buy some garden fertilizer and a patio tomato. For 10-10-10 fertilizer the price was just $20.00 for a 40 lb bag (or $0.50/lb) in each store. ISTM that the price has taken a huge jump this year. IIRC the last time I bought fertilizer (two years ago) it was about $0.10/lb. Is my memory correct?
For a single patio tomato W-Mart wanted $3.48. The clerk was dumbfounded when I told her to take it back. My logic goes like this...If I nurture this plant and it grows well, and sets fruit etc, I can expect to get about three pounds of fruit from it. This will occur at about the same time that the Jersey tomato crop comes in and they sell for about $0.39/lb. So my $3.48 investment and work will return me about $1.00. Does this seem to be good sense to you?
Could it be that because people cannot afford food the stores are gouging of gardening stuff? Your thoughts??
EJ in NJ
Add pictures here
βœ–

Good exercise Improving the environment by making topsoil Tomatoes with flavor (not grown for shelf life) Picking tomato fresh when you want it No insecticide residue to add to the chemical soup inside you Good ol' American independence from the system
DOWNSIDE Buying at infamously employee-unfriendly Wally World (buy from local nursery instead, keep the money in town)
--

- Billy
βœ–

I couldn't agree more. Fresh food is well worth the extra cost, and if you can get your initial plants from a local nursery (which will likely be more expensive than Wal-Mart), then you are helping the community as well.
What I would do is buy a 6-pack of tomatoes instead of one plant. They are a lot cheaper in the 6-packs, and you'd get more food from them. --S.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 03:52:12 -0600, "Suzanne D."

Even if one must pay a higher price for a single four or six incher, the return is well worth the price, given the alternative of industrial food.
Well met, good to have folks like you on-group.
Vive la rιvolution de jardin Charlie
"While it is true that many people simply can't afford to pay more for food, either in money or time or both, many more of us can. After all, just in the last decade or two we've somehow found the time in the day to spend several hours on the internet and the money in the budget not only to pay for broadband service, but to cover a second phone bill and a new monthly bill for television, formerly free. For the majority of Americans, spending more for better food is less a matter of ability than priority. p.187" — Michael Pollan (In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto)
Add pictures here
βœ–
"Charlie" wrote in message

Your sig line makes me laugh. It is true, people who are willing to spend extra on services they don't need will turn up their noses at spending more for better food, citing that fresh foods and organic produce are just too expensive. Most people would rather live on macaroni and frozen entrees so that they can afford their second car and their cable TV. Any time I hear people in my community--where the houses are large and the cars impressive--complaining of not having enough money to buy good food, I scratch my head in confusion. To me, food is the FIRST priority. I let my kids run wild in the produce section, and I don't even look at the prices. The cost is irrelevant; eating well is top priority. And if that means I have to see fewer movies or buy fewer CDs, oh well. The health of me and my family comes first. It's insane to ration where food quality is concerned. --S.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 01:10:19 -0600, "Suzanne D."

Amen, Sister! I remember our boys choosing anything they wanted in the produce section....some things didn't turn out well for their palates, but hey, they kept at it. Today they eat well and their children are fed healthy food. We take the grandkids to market and the oldest is my official picker and chooser, especially when it comes to sweet corn. He always gets an ear (which I pay for) and tastes it raw. If he is satisfied, we buy.
THe grands love being in the garden and sampling veggies fresh from the vine, ground, etc. We always have pots with cherry tomatoes on the patio and they graze on them all day.
Care Charlie
"Households that have lost the soul of cooking from their routines may not know what they are missing: the song of a stir-fry sizzle, the small talk of clinking measuring spoons, the yeasty scent of rising dough, the painting of flavors onto a pizza before it slides into the oven." — Barbara Kingsolver
Add pictures here
βœ–
"Charlie" wrote in message

I have four boys, ages 3-12, and they all LOVE vegetables. We have a sizeable garden, and in the summer it is the norm for them to play outside and nibble all day as they go. A cucumber in one hand, tomato in the other, mouth full of beans or baby corn--this is their season! They are fussing because it's been months since they've gotten to pick stuff. Everyone is eyeing the pea vines and newly-flowering pepper plants with greed. Already nibbling parsley because it's the only thing edible right now. I think having your own garden is the best way to get kids interested in eating vegetables. --S.
Add pictures here
βœ–

The best of times.
Enjoying life !
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Not all who wander are lost.
βœ–
Bill wrote:

and munching away..Soil and all. This will be the first summer my GD is going to help her Zeto in the garden, I'm looking forward to it, although I may need to fence in the 'maters. 8-).....Nah, let'r pick.
--
Tim

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
βœ–

Yep, my 2-year-old last year never bothered to clean off his carrots. He hasn't died yet, so I guess it was okay.

Absolutely. Now, I admit that when the tomatoes are fairly new and sparse, I sometimes tell the kids to lay off certain plants, knowing that I will need those fruits myself soon. Same with pickling cukes when I need a whole batch of a specific size. But when summer's on and the plants are producing all over the place, the kids get free roam of the garden. Nothing healthier, and it doesn't last, so why not? (We also have numerous apricot, peach, cherry, and other fruit trees that the kids get first pick from, before we gather the rest for jam or wine.) --S.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Where I live they're all carrying the expensive, over-priced Bonni veggie plants. Since I have a hobby greenhouse and a sunroom, I start my own veggies for a fraction of the rip-off prices stores charge. I use to start them in a large south facing window. They do fine.
Yes, fertilizer has gone up in the past 2 or 3 years.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Hedda Lettis;838947 Wrote: >

> veggie

> start

space depending you could get a mobile chicken coupe.
chicken muck is fantastic fertilizer, and where ever chickens are the following year the soil should be good.
not only that but you get eggs and sunday lunch too :)
i keep toying with the idea of getting half a dozen for my back garden.
--
bigmike20vt

Add pictures here
βœ–

Try buying organic fertilizer ( I just can't make enough compost for my needs). A 40 pound bag of Plant tone (5-3-3) is 23.98 here. I usually buy about 200 pounds. It's a must have as I refuse to use chemicals on my land.
Late last summer I went to buy some cabbage plants for a fall crop. The price was 3.49 for a 4 cell pack of plants. That's just obscene. I built a rack large enough to hold 4 flats of plants ( 2 flats on each of 2 levels). I bought 2 4 foot shop fluorescents and 4 full spectrum tubes for less than $50 and I'm growing my own plants. I've already planted 4 dozen cabbage, 6 dozen lettuce, 4 dozen broccoli, 2 dozen cauliflower and 2 dozen bulbing fennel in the garden. I currently have under the lights 1 flat of rhubarb, 1 flat assorted heirloom tomatoes, 1 flat peppers and 1 flat peanuts.
I've probably got less than $75.00 invested including seeds and the rack & lights should last for years. Steve
Add pictures here
βœ–

Makes absolutely imperfect sense. If you were growing for $ profit, you wouldn't be in the position you are now by having to get a plant from a retail outlet. So, explain again your goals in the past and now, and why those 2 might have changed or ignored the current market if not changed...
Corporate America will make a profit off those not independent enough to anticipate their moves. Last warning for those anticipating growing for thier own seed...
--
Dave
Dependency on large banks is undermining your, your children's, and
On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 20:32:27 -0500, "Dioclese" <NONE> wrote:

Amen Brother, I've been preachin' this for years and I ain't been hearing much agreement, 'cept from the few of you.
Charlie
(kinda sorta related, attitudinally anyway) http://countercurrents.org/keye140409.htm
Add pictures here
βœ–
Jabbering by Dioclese -----> ?

Nice riff but was listening to a smart sounding feller this afternoon talking about how the Romans went back to a subsistent, self sufficient society, just before they went down the tubes. We gotta get all these smart guys (and gals) together to hash this out before they start sending mixed messages. Uh, yeah, too late, huh?
And in closing, let me remind you of where Willie Sutton found money. Slowly, I'm thinking that an unregulated, armed mob, might get some to sit up and pay attention (not that I would ever advocate that).
Second night in a row that the temps are plunging towards freezing. Schlept up all my seedling and brought them inside. Gets an ol' man to wheezing, up and down this hill. Looks like warmer weather from here on out though. April 15 is or AVERAGE last freeze.
--

- Billy
βœ–

Uh, yeah...I fear so.

Yeah, there might be hell to pay in urban areas. That scenario could likely play out and I'm damned glad I am pretty far removed from many of the potential hot spots. What is the figure? Off the top o' me head, doesn't something like eighty percent of the population of the US live within two hundred miles of a coast?

Tired of it we are, no? I was nearly asleep the other night and remembered that I had some plants toughening up and had to scamper out in me skivvies and barefeet and haul them in. That old hill is keeping you truckin', old friend! Shoot, our average last frost date is May 10. Sheesh.
Charlie
"Success in any endeavor requires single-minded attention to detail and total concentration." -- Willie Sutton
Add pictures here
βœ–

He said it was fun too ;O)
--

- Billy
βœ–
Charlie wrote:

Nancy, I mean Billy is revising history again..
--
Dave
April 16th, 2009 Day 1 post Tea Party.
"Dioclese" <NONE> wrote:

It's OK everybody, it's just Dave, the right-wing nut case, equivocating as usual. No facts. No logic. Just a sock puppet regurgitating what he was told to say.
Tea Parties Forever http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/13/opinion/13krugman.html?_r=1&scp=2&sq=te a%20party&st=cse
Nice crop of nuts though.
Anybody you'd like us to call Dave?
--