Predatory flatworms.

Good pictures .
http://www.redwormcomposting.com/reader-photos/predatory-flatworm-bipalium-kewense/

http://www.redwormcomposting.com/reader-photos/predatory-flatworm-bipalium-kewense /
Hmmm... I see I need to look more closely at the worms in my compost piles and in my yards. Transplant worms from purchased flowers across the world? So far I do not think I saw any dead good worms.

On Wed, 25 May 2011 21:17:20 -0400, PhoenixWench

The usual thing here is to make cairns of stones or bricks loosely constructed, snakes lizards etc will take up residence in the gaps in between. As the snakes around here are elapids we don't do this, in fact the reverse, all piles of rubbish near the house are cleaned up to reduce their habitat.
David
PhoenixWench wrote: ...

a picture would be very helpful if you can find another one sometime.
my guess is some kind of newt or salamander. they like piles of organic debris, but from the description of the head i'd guess salamander before newt.

eventually...
songbird

And it's not a salamander?
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True
-snip-

Here's a list of the NY Salamanders--\ http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7485.html I can't believe the DEC couldn't put a picture by each one-- but Cortland did- http://www.cortland.edu/herp/keys/salapix.htm
I nominate Northern Spring Salamander Allegheny Mountain Dusky Salamander Redback
-snip-

-snip-
If their budget hasn't been cut, there used to be some real talkative herp folks in the DEC in Albany. If you don't see your critter listed on the Cortland page-- give them a call and try to describe it to them.
Jim