potted herbs

I grew a number of different herbs in a planter last summer in direct sunlight. Sage, mint, and basil. They all thrived during the summer but died late in the fall. ANy suggestions to prevent this from happening this year?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Margo) wrote:

Bring them in the house before the first frost. Or take cuttings from them before first frost, and grow them on your kitchen windowsill all winter in small pots.
Jan
On 3 Mar 2004 18:02:42 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Margo) wrote:

Where are you? (USDA zone or location)
Basil is a frost-tender annual. It is definitely dead. Mint is a perennial that dies down after frost, but revives (and spreads) in spring. Sage is a perennial which varys in hardiness -- green-leafed is hardy to zone 5.
il 3 Mar 2004 18:02:42 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Margo) ha scritto:

Don't have winter? Many plants take a break over winter. Mint in the open will die back in winter but regrow in spring. My sage bush stays alive but is dormant in winter. Basil, don't know if it would stay alive longer if it was warm but just keep the seeds and start again. :-)
--
Cheers,