Potatos through the year

Last Spring (September) I planted seed potatos which grew well and I harvested in early summer (December). In one bed I got about 50 kg (110lbs) of spuds whIch were carefully brushed and packed in boxes and left in a cool, dry, dark place. We have been eating them as much as possible but have only eaten a bit over half as there is only two of us. Now the remainder are all sprouting. It is now late autumn, coming on winter and I will try to keep some ready to plant next Spring after the frost. However we are going waste quite a lot.
As I see it I have two problems.
1) My cool storage wasn't really that cool as summer is hot here and even in the house it is typically 25 degrees C, up to 30 C (86F) which has made the spuds sprout.
If I invest in another fridge and keep them cooler (say 15C, 50F) how much better will they last?
2) Having only one crop per year makes for storage problems. I understand that the rationale for the Spring crop is that it is after the frost but in the milder weather so pests are less of a problem.
What would happen if I grew a second crop say from January to March, when it is quite hot and sometimes humid?