potato planters - when to harvest?

ive tried growing potatoes in a planter for the first time and im under the impression i harvest once the plants flower. however, im getting abit of a jungle thats struggling to stand up in the planter and ive hilled to the top of the planter already.

ive not had any flowers yet so ive not harvested.

do i just need to be patient or should i be doing something?

Reply to
shopgirl771

Wait for the flowers to disappear and the leaves start to brown a little. It's too early in the year for my potatoes to flower.

Reply to
Billy

If they are hanging down try to spread them out without kinking the stems so they get as much sun as possible.

Wait, the longer the plant is making starch the bigger your taters will be.

David Hare-Scott

If you harves tyour potatoes when the tops are still gree, then the potatoes are called 'new potatoes'. If you harvest then when the tops are dead, then these are just potatoes (I think the term for them is main crop potatoes but have forgotten such niceties)

Reply to
FarmI

thanks all. ill try that david thanks

Reply to
shopgirl771

...but I think next time I'll take David's advice on the foliage! :)

Reply to
Cloudel