Poppy Seeds SALE or TRADE

like to trade for medicinal herb seeds. The poppies I have are of the papaver somniferum species. The opium poppy will grow to about 48" and produce a 4" seed pod. Also have an herbal CD with 100s of herbs and techniques of cultivating and harvesting. snipped-for-privacy@sirinet.net

Reply to
Happy Shopper

I don't have any seeds for you this year, but I just bought a bunch of seeds from

and I hope to have some for trade next year or so. Dorothy

Reply to
Amberbock

Could you please post a picture of a 4" poppy seedpod? This is quite different from the approx. 1/2" pod I am familiar with on Papaver somniferum. Is this some special variety? How does a poppy stem support such a large fruit?

Reply to
Frogleg

You note on your website that Wal-Mart sells the papaver somniferum variiety. Are you sure of this? I was pretty sure that they sold the other papavers, but not somniferum.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew McMichael

All grocery stores sell P. somniferum... on their spice shelf. Poppy seed (the spice) is from P. somniferum.

Henriette

Reply to
Henriette Kress

Can you believe Thompson and Morgan bowed to a US request to remove Hens and Chicks from their catalog? Some of the steps we take in this "drug war" are absolutely rediculous. Ken A.

Reply to
Ken Anderson

What does 'hens and chicks' have to do with drugs?

Pat

Reply to
Pat Meadows

Hens and Chickens, a big somniferum. It's still in the UK catalog.

Ken Anderson

Thanks. I didn't know they are in that family.

They're a very useful plant too, especially for rock gardens and similar.

Yes, the WoD is often ridiculous. I've come around to the viewpoint that drugs should be legalized: what the USA is doing now is not working, and is criminalizing an awful lot of people.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Meadows

You mean Sempervivum tectorum (and other species), houseleek, or "Hens and chickens".

Ken means Papaver somniferum 'Hens and chickens', a gorgeous garden beauty

- and a cultivar of the opium poppy.

You're talking different plants.

Henriette

Reply to
Henriette Kress

useful plant for rock gardens, etc.

It appears that the USA and UK call two different plants 'hens and chicks' - not a surprise.

The ones we call 'hens and chicks' in the USA are _Sempervivum tectorum_ and they are definitely not an annual and not 30" high as described in the T&M catalog. They're a low-growing perennial succulent. There are variations but all in the _Sempervivum_ family, AFAIK, and all low-growing perennials, AFAIK.

T&M doesn't give the scientific name but their 'hens and chicks' are obviously not the same thing at all.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Meadows