pole bean, older leaves dried up and dieing

my brother called me today with an odd thing happening to his pole beans. he told me that about 3 feet up a few of his pole bean plants have leaves that are brown (dried out and crumbly) but the rest of the plant on up the trellis is nice and green.
i can think of a few things but can't make a statement until i see the plant myself (tomorrow)
any ideas??
Joe wrote:

well, took a look at it today and it appears to be bean mosaic....sad but true