planting walnuts

hey people, can somebody tell me how to get a walnut seed to germinate
heard something about a dormancy period in the fridge but thats as muc as i know. i have also heard that people sand off some of the shell i order to get the gerination to happen earlier. Any ideas would b aprisiated thanks
-- sasha
sasha wrote:

Stratification for 90 to 120 days is required for optimum seed germination but the necessity and duration of stratification may vary by seed source.
Crack the green husk prior to planting.
--
The Hawke

I've scattered the local black walnuts in my fields and had plenty of them come up the next spring. Nature seems to do a pretty good job of stratification and planting them. ;)
Watcher wrote:

That's true, also read that gray squirrels have a germination rate of 7 to 1 over red squirrels.
Something about gray squirrels not remembering where they hid their nuts all of the time! ;-)
--
The Hawke

snipped-for-privacy@home.com writes:

Walnuts, filberts, peanuts . . . whatever they can bury, many of us must pull/did the following year! Grrrrr.
Glenna
"Glenna Rose" wrote:

Don't you hate having to explain a joke?
Anyway, I remember the walnut seedlings that seemed to spring up from nowhere in my grandparents' apple orchards every year. Seemed like there were hundreds of them, and the nearest walnut trees were in a neighbor's stand of trees more than a mile away.
The crows carry walnuts and drop them at various places. They like to drop them on roadways so that cars will break the nuts. Often their aim is poor and they drop the nuts in your yard.
I would prefer not to have a walnut tree in my yard. The tree will inhibit the growth of other trees or plants for a wide area. Nut production usually depends on spraying the tree.
Dick