Planting Strawberries

Dig a wide shallow hole for each plant and make a mound in the middl

over which you drape the roots, taking care not to bend them. Cover th roots with soil making sure that the crown of the plant remains a ground level and firm it down before giving a good soaking watering When you have finished planting mulch the area with straw or wood chi to help conserve moisture. N.B. crowns set too low will result in roo rot, set too high the roots may dry out

-- JW-Tools

Reply to
JW-Tools

Well, yes that/s what all the brochures tell you to do, but it involves more effort than is necessary.

I use a garden-variety trowl to open a slit wide enough to accomodate the roots, drop them in, and firm up the soil against the roots, taking care not to set the crown below ground level, altho leaving a small depression helps when watering. Wood chips are OK, but they are slow to decompose. Pine straw is best b/c it/s easy to get at little or no cost. Straw brings wheat and weed seed to the bed, something I/d rather avoid.

Reply to
TQ