Plant a Garden, Get a Tax Break?

Page 2 of 2
In article

giving up

Exclusively the few that are contemptible.
-paggers

--
visit my temperate gardening website:
http://www.paghat.com
On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 13:07:48 -0700, Persephone wrote:

If you want to lookup some actual numbers from past years in your local area look here:
http://farm.ewg.org/farm /
Click on your state and maybe county, then click on say Top Recipients in 2005. You should see some familiar names from local farmers and what there "take" was in 2005.
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

IIRC they no longer get money for *not* growing their crops.

I'm not sure what your definitions are of "elderly" and "wealthy" but my gentleman friend is 62, farms 100 acres of cotton and 45 acres of wheat and gets the subsidies. He may not fit your idea of elderly but he sure as hell isn't wealthy. However, he's very opposed to the government farm program. Last year his cotton crop was so bad that he made more money selling his water rights since he has a well so doesn't need his share of the canal water. Sue - Central California

The "family farmers", per the article, seem to be eligible for this money, too. The ones who are having trouble are the ones who lease rather than own the land and are not having their leases renewed. I was responding to this statement: "Nothing goes to the elderly farmer who still works dawn to dusk trying to pay for his own farm, but to the very wealthy." I saw nothing in the article to back up this statement. Now, I have been told that Queen Elizabeth used to get US farm subsidies because she did (or perhaps still does) own quite a bit of property here. I have absolutely no proof of this.

I've read the article now and see what you're talking about. My statement about the way things used to be was based on my gentleman friend no longer having to have a "set aside" to get the subsidies for his cotton. There was some very careful calculation about how many acres were under cultivation thereby how many acres he couldn't plant.

Well, I'm more worried about the meager livelihood of my gentleman friend (his pick up truck is about 15 years old and his tractor is older than that which I point out to demonstrate that he is *not* wealthy) than I am of farmers in the Third World. And, as I said, he is very much against the subsidies.

I've read it now, but where is government spending *not* absurd. I work in a welfare office and it sickens me at some of the stuff we do. But, that's just a point of view thing. I'm goin' out to plant the herbs now. Sue

<Charlie> wrote in message > Plant a Garden, Get a Tax Break?

Guess people are missing the point from reading the thread. Don't expect "help" in any fashion from the U.S. government for your welfare. Any "help" will result in distortion and dilution of its surface intent. Their only true intent is intrusion and control for its own sake. Many people will not be better off with such "help". If you want to garden, fine. If you want to raise edible food in the garden for your own consumption, fine. Keep the U.S. government, and its piggyback, large corporations, out of your garden.
--
Dave

<Charlie> wrote in message > Plant a Garden, Get a Tax Break?

The only problem with this is that with government support comes government controls; just imagine the regulations you'll have to comply with to get your garden deduction. Every special-interest group in Washington, D.C., will get their hands in it to ensure that you end up with a garden properly balanced among the government's definition of an acceptable diet. Plus, I'm sure that your garden would have to be representative of the diversity of our population to qualify for tax relief. Finally, anything you save on taxes by the garden deduction will be offset by higher government spending to employ the thousands of home gardening inspectors they'll need to ensure compliance with the new regulations. Not that I'm cynical.
Paul
Pavel314 wrote:

And once the government inspections are in place, if you should happen to feed your kid a sprig of parsley from your flowerpot herb garden and neglect to get it inspected first, then you'll be charged with child abuse and youth services will be writing you up every time you leave a crumb on the table until your kids graduate from college.
Heck, if the cat gets into the uninspected catnip patch it will probably be "animal cruelty".
--John