PING Gary Woods

Gary,

About when should those of us in this area be putting in the garlic?

Thanks.

-- Jon Endres, PE Reply To: wmengineer (at) adelphia (dot) net

Reply to
Jon Endres, PE

Refresh my memory about where "this area" is... I should be planting within the next couple of weeks in upstate NY; the rule I heard at a talk by somebody who actually knew something was 4-6 weeks before ground frost, i.e. the ground freezing to an appreciable depth. Here, that's usually well into December.

Now if I can only trim and weigh all that cured garlic that's hanging in the shed......

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at

Gary Woods

So which area might that be??

Reply to
Mervyn Thomas

Ah...oops. This area meaning your area - upstate NY, Capital district, and in my case, southern Vermont.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Endres, PE

Right here, of course. :)

In my case, southern VT.

Reply to
Jon Endres, PE

I should 've known.... put an "X" on the fender while I was there, so I could find it again.

IOW, any time within the next few weeks would be ok. If it suddenly turns cold earlier than usual, apply some mulch. Otherwise, it's best NOT to mulch until the ground freezes a bit; all you want to do is damp the freeze-thaw cycle. A good coat of "poor man's fertilizer" is just as good and, appealing to a Vermonter, free...