Pineapple questions

Page 2 of 2
I've been watching this pineapple discussion with interest. I grew one once, just for fun. Pineapples certainly must be a fruit. If they contain seeds (in the wild, at least) that pretty much confirms that they are fruits. Strawberries are fruits too, of course. Now, if you claimed that strawberries are not really berries, I could agree with that. I've never seen a pineapple with seeds. I'm surprised to hear you say the seeds are in the skin. Maybe what you found isn't seeds (but maybe they are). I hope you report back to us and let us know if they sprout or not. A planted top certainly would be a clone of the original plant, as would any basal sprouts. Other posters to this thread have said to cut the top off the fruit and plant it. I wouldn't cut it off. Any fruit that remains will simply rot and in the mean time will keep the part that forms roots from getting to the soil. If you want to plant a top, just twist it off the top of the fruit. Strip away several of the lowest leaves and there are usually little stubby roots already visible and ready to grow right into the soil. I grew one that way. I grew it for 2 years and the 2nd summer outside it sent up a flower stem, bloomed, and then made a medium sized fruit which we ate. Our summers are short and cool so most of its life was in the basement. If I ever move to Florida or anywhere that comes close to frost free, I'll be growing several of them, even if I do have to protect them from some cold spells.
Steve ... the other one... in the Adirondacks of northern NY
Ray Drouillard wrote:

The seeds resemble flax seed, are small and are found in the flesh of the fruit, not in the skin. You rarely find them in store bought, but it is possible. They readily germinate and produce tough little rosettes that grow slowly. If the plant you describe has healthy 'stalk' and root system, it may produce new plants. Take care that you do not overwater at this stage and rot out the root system. After taking the fruit, I often observe 2 or 3 new plants forming. These can be left in place allowing a clump to form or they may be removed and planted out separately. I have found that a little sprinkle of osmocote in the cup promotes good growth. Otto in Orlando - with a 150sqft patch of pineapples.

[...]
Thanks for all the replies! It looks like my questions were answered -- and then some.
It's good to know that a pineapple grown from the crown of a fruit is a clone of the original plant. Many times, the fruit from seed-grown plants are disappointing.
I did plant a couple of the seeds just for curiosity's sake. If nothing else, they ought to be good ornamentals.
Ray Drouillard