Pet-Safe Slug Products

Hi Everybody,
Today, I was in a store, reading a package of slug- killing product, which warned of the dangers for pets.
The idea was that the product had something in it that made it taste bitter, to deter them, but that some persistent pets will still eat it.
There are a couple of neighbors' cats here, so I want to make sure that my anti-slug measures are safe for them.
I have heard )that copper wire is good (I read it on the Inernet, so it "must" be true...) So I am thinking of putting a loose spiral of that wire around the base of my capsicums, with a backup of pet-friendly slug- killer around the edge of the containers.
I am not sure if "Slugg-o" is available here. What Active Ingredient do I need to protect the cats?
Thanks...
--
Guide To DIY Living
http://www.self-reliance.co.nz

Dark Ale beer... :-) We found that cheap dark ale worked better than cheap beer. We found that pans of them would collect over a dozen slugs per night until we wiped out most of the population, now it's slowed down a bit.
It is totally 100% pet safe, and won't attract or kill other insects except accidently.
It works!
K.
--
Sprout the MungBean to reply
On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 22:14:39 -0500, Katra

It's the yeast in the beer, so putting some yeast in water works well, too.
Penelope

Oh! Cool! That might be cheaper too. :-)
Will try it and report, thanks!!!
K.
--
Sprout the MungBean to reply
On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 22:14:39 -0500 in

party hats all over the place in the morning.

Sluggo is available on online:
http://www.pestproducts.com/sluggo.htm
No affiliation, but I bought from them and was happy. A google search will turn up other retailers.
Don't balk at the price. A little goes a long way--I've used the same container of it for two summers and still have some left. To me it is a lot simpler than fussing around with saucers of beer.
Cheers, Sue
--
snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMearthlink.net
Zone 6, South-central PA

will the cats eat chickens? the chickens are murder on the slugs, and quite organic.

iron phosphate. I use nothing but sluggo. beer just does not work as well. once you have few slugs, 1-2 ounces every 100 sqft will pretty much control them, so it lasts a long time.
Diatomatious Earth. It is a white powder product made of ground up something from the ocean. It cuts the slugs under bellies up when they crawl across it, and yet can be used to feed pets to de-worm them.
The only problem is that it has to be reapplied after each watering or rain.
Dwayne