Pesticide foodstuff database

Page 1 of 2
<http://www.whatsonmyfood.org/
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."

This is the kind of information you need, if you are going to make informed decisions.
--

- Billy

By and large. So what does that have to do with the Pesticide Action Network?
I'm sure that the big lobbies that spread lots of cash around, aren't too happy with them.
Chemical companies want to sell. Framers don't want to test. Monsanto, Cargill, and Archer Daniel Midlands just want subsidies.
--

- Billy

It is just good to see PAN agrees with the Fed and their database :), but most importantly that the findings show we are all safe. My first thoughts were these Guys had an agenda and were going to push Precautionary Principles.

I do have to ask, do these pickup lines still work? True, their totally diversionary, but they both also seem so, I don't know.... irrelevant.
BTW, ever read up on Dr. Bruce Ames, UC Berkeley? good read on toxins and such.
another info site on chemicals: http://www.scorecard.org/chemical-profiles / you can use your zip to drill down to see whats is in your area, even gets down to specific issues.
& If you promise not to nit-pick, http://www.mackinac.org/article.aspx?ID `75 has some very good background facts. Some still floats around the Internet discussions a bit, .....But do check out Dr. Ames, he has a lot more to say about pesticides, quite illuminating, not casually dismissed.
Gunner In all lies there is wheat among the chaff... - A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court

I'm sure, there are lots of good reads, like John Yoo and the torture briefs (also Cal Berkeley). It's nice to have an argument before cites are given. What do you have to say. Where is the site for the government database on pesticides? Where is the PAN site that says all pesticides are safe?
Precautionary Principles, are you out of your mind, Dow, Monsanto, Bayer, Nisus, and Novartis would break their political legs. Cargill, and Archer Daniel Midlands profit handsomely from corn, and soybean supports, which allows them to make cheap food like stuff, for consumption.
http://www.ewg.org/node/26928 is a nice toxic read, as is http://arjournals.annualreviews.org/doi/abs/10.1146/annurev.publhealth.25 .101802.123020 http://www.bio-medicine.org/biology-news/Use-of-Insecticides-Linked-to-La sting-Neurological-Problems-for-Farmers-337-1/ http://www.salon.com/env/feature/2009/05/18/bees_pesticides / http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/pesticides/c_2.htm
And did you ever consider that if we didn't do the same monocultures in the same place most of the pesticides wouldn't be needed, under the most conservative of judgments. GMO crops are no more productive than standard crops, but some do allow more pesticide be used. And how about the increase in diabetes since we started eating faux foods 30 years ago? Prior to that they were called imitation foods.
So gunner, make your argument, and present your citations. If you've been to school, you should know how it works.
--

- Billy

Ahhh! It is obvious from your posting history you don't take the time to read and certainly don't use higher order thinking skills to put facts together. IN this case again, you didn't read the data you so quickly endorsed, did ya? Typical Billy, then you try to cover your tracks with pure unadulterated BS and more links you still didn't read. Google is not your friend Billy. As well, I have to laugh about your use of the word use "citations" as well as the way you attempt to "bait" someone. You have obviously have a lot of practice on the playground.
If you would have read and verified the PAN site you would know PAN uses the USDA's PDP test data, a fact they talk about in several places, in fact WOMF specifically references they use the PDP and the PesticideInfo.Org ( which is also themselves). On their PesticideInfo.Org site they state they use the PDP and a few other source references most of which are again FED papers of some agency or other. So once again the database traces back to the PDP as the primary source of all the data used by PAN. Now how bizarre is that ! Because of my training and experiences I have to ask why? I can't come up with anything other than they just another 501 c. 3. looking for money, scare money is pretty easy to get from the uninformed. so here is your "citation" (In my business its source or reference ) , check out the page: Apple Sauce ... snipped...
Footnotes 1. Tests for any given food are often conducted in multiple years. In all cases WhatsOnMyFood shows...snipped...
2. All pesticide residue results on this page and elsewhere on the WhatsOnMyFood website were obtained by the United Stated Department of Agriculture (USDA) Pesticide Data Program (PDP)
3. Punzi, JS, Lamont, M, Haynes, D, Epstein, RL, USDA Pesticide Data Program: Pesticide Residues ...snipped...
4. All toxicological data was either compiled for this site - typically from U.S. EPA reregistration eligibility decisions - or obtained from data compiled for the PesticideInfo website
Here, let me further help you do your research, this is the summary of the 2007 report PAN used for their pie chart website presentation: http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/getfile?dDocName=STELPRDC5074338 2007 data, published Dec 2008
"PDP analyzed 11,683 samples of fresh and processed food commodities in 2007, excluding groundwater and drinking water. Overall, the percent of residues detected (the number of residues detected divided by the total number of analyses performed for each commodity) was 1.9 percent. Over 99 percent of the samples analyzed did not contain residues above the safety limits (tolerances) established by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and 96.7 percent of the samples analyzed did not contain residues for pesticides that had no tolerance established."
Seem like we got an Ivory Snow report card Billy, 99%!!!!! so go back to that little pie chart fluff, ground clutter thingies and verify that none exceed the allowable safe limits. Not a one Billy, not a one should exceed the EPA limits, ok maybe the <one%.
Bottom line.... PAN just downloaded the USDA data base, framed it, added some whirligigs to get your attention and poof ....Its magic,.... please send your dollars to support our important research.
Again, understand the data presented. This is presented in a very prejudicial manner, designed to alarm. "OMG this has pesticides on it!" Americans do not seem to understand the nature of statistics, especially about measurements of parts per billion (ppb), for reference 1ppb is equal to 1 minute in 2000 years
I recommended Dr. Bruce Ames, the noted Microbiologist for you to read because his research on cancers and carcinogenicity are world renown. But since you don't do much more than goggle and wiki, here is a synopsis link for you to scoff at: http://www.nytimes.com/1994/07/05/science/scientist-at-work-bruce-n-ames-strong-views-on-origins-of-cancer.html?pagewanted=1 or http://tinyurl.com/nkltzn .
I will warn you, like most of your "citations", this reference is a bit old but still very relevant to what he has discovered especially if you can find other writings using his works. Most all his papers are locked up behind password access but you can certainly write to him on his website and ask for copies. I find most Profs want to share, well perhaps except when you slanderously infer them a corporate shrill with your unique style of research.
Just remember most here do understand and endorse being green, It is just the fringe lunacy gets a bit much with you. Certainly the co-mingling of extraneous " citations" doesn't help your cause.
Good luck in your quest for the holy grail.
My best to you this new day Billy.
gunner wrote:

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/07/05/science/scientist-at-work-bruce-n-ames-strong-views-on-origins-of-cancer.html?pagewanted=1
Gunner--
Really good post.
People generally aren't generally smart enough to quantify such data. Most people can't tell the difference in meaning between Parts per hundred million and percent. The perception is.....If there is ANY of it present it's going to kill you.
EJ in NJ

METHODOLOGY Q: What data is shown here and where did it come from? A: USDAs Pesticide Data Program (PDP) cross-referenced with toxicology1 data from EPA and other authoritative listings. http://www.whatsonmyfood.org/methodology.jsp
Great, since it's government information, you shouldn't have a problem with it;O)
TOXICOLOGY: MAKING SENSE OF PESTICIDES Whats On My Food? also contains toxicological information for most pesticides tested by USDA, and for many of the pesticide residues (chemicals found on foods that may be different from the actual pesticides used). The toxicological information here is pulled from www.PesticideInfo.org, a comprehensive database that we've developed and maintained for ten years.

Certainly makes me glad that I grow as much as I can. I'll read it when I can but it still doesn't answer the questions below.

consumers, it's meant to aid agriculture (marketers).

to the one isolated chemical, or to the stew of chemicals in the food chain and in the environment?? http://www.chemicalbodyburden.org/whatisbb.htm

6 millionths of a sec.

man made. Yada, yada, yada. There are lots of scientists. You have to take a poll and measure their quality.

EXCLUSIVEPentagon Pundits: New York Times Reporter David Barstow Wins Pulitzer Prize for Exposing Militarys Pro-War Propaganda Media Campaign Pundits-double-web
In his first national broadcast interview, New York Times reporter David Barstow speaks about his 2009 Pulitzer Prize-winning expose of the Pentagon propaganda campaign to recruit more than seventy-five retired military officers to appear on TV outlets as military analysts ahead of and during the Iraq war. This week, the Pentagon inspector generals office admitted its exoneration of the program was flawed and withdrew it. http://www.democracynow.org/2009/5/8/pentagons_pundits_ny_times_reporter_ david
Climate Expert Says NASA Tried to Silence Him http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/29/science/earth/29climate.html
Lots of people are playing fast and loose with critical facts. I just reads them the way that I sees them.

extremist. Youve got to be an extremist in order to achieve things. Youve got to be ready to make enemies in order to accomplish something. And its absolutely necessary that the people here today continue to demonstrate against this highly destructive practice.
- REP. KEN HECHLER (94 years old)
"The only congressman who marched with Martin Luther King in Selma, Alabama, was this hillbilly from West Virginia . ." http://www.democracynow.org/2009/5/29/coal

-- Mel Brooks
--

- Billy

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Ames>
<http://potency.berkeley.edu/MOE.html
Bruce is going on 81 and has done good work. That said science has a difficult time adding up total exposure and the possible impact. I'd hazard a guess that our immune systems are strengthened and weakened by impact of all our sensual imputes.
Best practice is to try to do well be well with what we think we know. Gardening and invoking mother nature I believe is a good thing. Belief system raises it complexities. Love and gratefulness for sustenance primary sometimes expressed as saying grace in one way or another.
Looking at the fancy Ames graph I noticed no mention of Alpha or Beta Naphthalene which caused a hot spot for bladder cancer in Pennsville NJ. Rural area with A Dupont Plant providing employment not far from here it smelled like death and it was the most frequent sample turned over to the next shift. .
Exposure to harmful or helpful mediums seem to be secretive. Vit D, Vit K and Resveratrol along with family interaction seems good. Allopathy good for burns and accidents only. Yea thats me. YMMV. Fresh home nibbling has to be superior but I may be wrong. Energy more direct in a way from the earth and sun.
Bill whose sister is a MD and Husband a Virologist.
Small birds happy singing or protecting.
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."

No doubt. I am hoping they get the operating manual and troubleshooting guide on Man written soon..

There are better class of drugs these days for your condition. Hopefully one of them can balance your mood swings and attention span out a bit better. With the proper care and counseling you should make a full recovery.
I'm serious when I say good luck with that Billy.

Oh very good, the meds insult (always very funny and insightful), right before somehow working in a Nazi reference.
Oh wait, so sorry, I did......Godwin's Law invoked.
Charlie
<Charlie> wrote in message wrote:

So YOU can make sense out of his rambling BS and the stupid wiki links or you just a fan of his?
Regardless that was rich Charlie , I will try to work that one in the next time. I'm sure there will be more BS coming out of eco fringe element . It almost is like an OCD.
On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 23:48:20 -0500, Charlie wrote:

I'm sorry, I said this thread when I meant to indicate the other group and that thread in which you and bob and kate and mic were holding forth.
You can attribute this oversight, or mistake, to lack of medication and ability to clarify thoughts, if you choose, Gunny.
Charlie
<Charlie> wrote in message

Charlie, I aint no Gunny. I 'm a Gunner, a Warrant Officer. I was an E7 Promotable (<9 years) when I was appointed, then commissioned RA 6 months later. Army also, but I was adopted because of so many joint assignments.
BTW, Dr of sorts... no! but I do understand more than a bit of MH issues. FWIW I am a licensed counselor in WA State, well for the next month anyway, getting too expensive to stay current when you are doing free work. I have been the Court Appointed Guardian for 3 MH persons so far and as an advocate working issues for a few others over the years, I have been an advocate working for the last year an a half on a host of issues ranging from the IRS, INS, The State of CA, the Federal Government, Medicare/Medicaid and 3 Insurance companies for this one person. as well as dealing with 5 doctors. She is Bi Polar since teens. last year she went down that road and I didn't think she was coming back this time. Was talking to the IRS for a couple of hours just Yesterday AM on her issues.
I am not the Dr guy one needs, I 'm the guy that plowed through the bureaucracy and get stuff done my friend so they can get to the Dr guy. As you can perhaps sense, I don't win a lot of brownie points for style, but I get a job done in record time. So you may feel that I am insensitive,.... I do not..., may not be considered PC, but a far cry from being insensitive to the plight of other.
I do apologize to you if you are afflicted and felt dissed. That you came to his defense, good on you so I will tell you first, I am going to break up with him, he is getting way too needy and honestly, I think he is seeing another NG.
Who is Kaiser? mein Fuhrer? Are you talking growing Meds? as in Humbolt Co, or the other holistic ayurveda thing such as for Diabetes? Regardless, Use caution with the Shaman craft.

Thanks for the clarification, Gunner. I wasn't sure about several things, so I tossed out a baited line.

Now I understand where you are coming from. I know your kind. Have dealings with your kind regularly.
I'm the guy who has to deal with you regularly, as my wife and I manage and live in a group home providing supports and advocacy for people with severe to profound MR and varying degrees of physical disabilities, ranging from minor to severe. I speak and do battle for those who are unable, and/or unwilling to speak for themselves, at the most basic level. Bad habit mine, being brusque to the point of rudeness, often laced with sarcasm, born of years of peoples' insensitivity to others position or disability or any number of things of which you would be aware.
I appreciate those, like you, who get shit done. I keep several of you in my pockets for the dealings such as you deal. I am not a popular person with many Drs, many techs and nurses and administrative people at the local medical-industrial-compound. Also not popular with a fair number of people from the state department that provides funding and regulations for our agency. But we are respected for the advocacy and care we provide.
In fact, come to think of it, I ain't very popular with the mainstream and status quo crowd period. Good.

I have found that most people are "afflicted" in one manner or another, and yes, I have my issues, but seldom feel dissed or offended by anything someone says about me. What I find irritating is when people start trotting out the "adjust your meds" putdown, or any number of demeaning and insensitive insults that may offend others. It demonstrates a lack of respect and an arrogance that may offend any number of people. So I shoot off my mouth and will continue to do so, both online and IRL.

I am not sure if I detect humor or yet another bit of condescension.
As far as defending Billy, and Bill, he/they are capable of that themselves and need not my defense. What I will do is stand shoulder to shoulder with them and throw rock.

Reference to KaiserPermante, typifying the medical-industrial-complex and uncaring allopaths, bureaucrats, politicos and businessfolk, in general, and a whole host of issues not worth going into.
mein Fuehrer???........what kind of cheap shot is that.....I guess you worked in the reference, eh? You are welcome for the bait provided, allowing you to do so.

I have no problem with self-medication, alternative therapy, whatever, for myself, but don't recommend, or cause others do the same, unless they are willing to take responsibility for such, and do their own research. Make of that what you will.
Self-medication carries it's own dangers when dealing with MH, and physical, issues; one must weigh the risk/benefit, and be willing to accept the consequences of doing so. I do.
I might add that one also exercise extreme caution concerning the allopathic craft.
Charlie, tired of talking shop and going to the garden for some therapy, getting some real dirt on my hands
On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 21:21:45 -0500, Charlie wrote:

Good on ya, Charlie.

doing.
Like I said, good you show your Bud some support and I would like to believe you really standup for the underdog. I see no one did for Martin ( florabloom) Standing silent it not standing up, Charlie and you know that. Your man has a CS Bully personality.
Billy ain't figured this one out as yet. This is childish play, you bet, but has he answered the question, Of course not, because he cannot. it is a lie and he is weasling on it.
Yet this is all been for Nilly Billy's chicken shit attack he pulled on Florabloom. He lied and then attacked an innocent. You stand shoulder to shoulder to that?
Now he is caught up in it. He coulda got away with his pathological lying, hell, a few of his "citations" he googles are worth reading and he has got some folks believing his BS or too scared to say otherwise, don't know which one, don't care but to launch into a diatribe such as he did and attack a FNG for asking a question? naaa. No man gets to do that without some consequence. Florabloom played nice and he didn't get ANY support from this group.
You can't give a pass on this one Charlie and mean what you said about being a advocate.
Stand in,..... stand down......... all the same to me Charlie.