Persimmon Pickimg

Having a bumper crop of persimmons in North Texas. Our beatiful Tamopan tree is loaded from top to bottom. Unfortunately, the fruit in the upper 12 feet of the 20 foot tree are tough to reach. Even if you are a fearless climber, which I am not, the branches are so small that there is risk of falling. So, I was wondering, what is a relative safe way to get those fruits?

Reply to
Jerry Small

Jerry look for a wire basket fruit picker, at the gardening store. It's a cup shaped wire basket with claws to pull the fruit from the branch. It sits on the end of a pole, to give you additional reach.

Pan Ohco

Reply to
Pan Ohco

I would feel uncomfortable with a wire basket picker. If the fruit is ripe the wire claws will tear it apart. Persimmons do not easily fall off their branches so it is usually better to cut the fruit off. I use a tall orchard ladder for access to the higher part os the persimmon tree. Even then I leave many of the higher fruit for the birds. I will probably pick close to 1000 persimmons from our tree and that is enough for our use.

Dick

Reply to
Richard Cline

Wow, 1000 persimmons. And I thought I had a lot on my tree but 150-200 is about all. Anyway, Dick, you are absolutely right about wire claws. What I did was attach a small box to a 12' pole and clip off the fruit with a cutting instrument. Still, the highest fruits are for the birds, mockingbirds specifically.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Small