Peppers, Epsom Salt

Page 3 of 3

It is mostly about raising beef, which has no appeal to me. I just skimmed through the book, and took what I found interesting. I didn't find anything damning in his methods.
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
<http://www.rachelcorrie.org/
Billy wrote:

interesting, considering how much resources raising beef takes and how often you talk about CAFOs being horrible and hold up him as prime example of how it can be done differently. also the frequent quoting of his methods of building soil... yet here is an actual exposition by the guy himself on his methods (instead of an article written by someone else) and you shrug it off.
i don't think you read him as critically as you read others.
he's gradually shifted from all free range and organic production using minimal or all local inputs to being more like any other commercial operation bent on production over sustainability. it may not be as exploitive or destructive as some other methods but the question is how long will his farm carry on and be distinctive instead of being yet another exploitive farm? will his children continue to accept this gradual shift in watering down the original idea or will they fight harder to keep the distinction and originality that was there before?
the succession question is important, as once Joel retires can a less flamboyant and outspoken child keep the interest (and meaning the price premiums that others are willing to pay) high enough to continue? or will he be forced to cut corners and turn it more and more into just another farm...
i'll continue to be interested to see how these questions are answered.
songbird
Billy wrote:

uh!? i think this has completely zigged instead of zagged...

i'll get back to you in a few days if i don't get run over by more severe thunderstorms and tornado warnings. forecast is looking good for another near perfect day.
but first, sleep, water sprouts, pick more strawberries and then i can play.
peace, all is well, no worries, etc.
songbird
Billy wrote: ...

*chuckles*