Peppercorns?

This may seem like a dumb question, but is it possible to grow pepper plants in the US at all? If so, is it possible to plant them from the peppercorn or is there a specific seed that needs to be bought? Thank you.
Regards, Ranee @ Arabian Knits
http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

search leads me to believe that black pepper (piper nigrum) can be grown in the warmer climate zones of U.S.A.
http://www.richters.com/newdisplay.cgi?page=./QandA/Growing/20070713-4.html&cart_id 1.100
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/herbs/msg0418152311306.html
http://www.companionplants.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=black+pepper&x=0&y=0
Shoot; I'm in western peninsular Florida and may try some myself, it it can adapt to container culture.