Pepper saga.......... Pepper expert anyone?

Page 3 of 3

You might be interested in an aphid spray I use. 1 part denatured alcohol + 3 parts water. Spray onto the pests. They cease moving immediately, and more importantly, never move again. I have not found it to harm any plants, but there is nothing stopping you hosing it off 10 mins after applying if you wish, as by then it has done its job. As always, it would be wise to do a test spraying on just one plant initially, and then on the others 2 or 3 days later. I've found it ideal for killing aphids clustered on the tender new tips of plants such as roses and lemons.
Denatured alcohol is called "methylated spirits" here in Australia. It's just ethyl alcohol with a trace amount of an evil-tasting stuff to stop people drinking it and evading the alcohol tax. (You could use cheap vodka in place of the alcohol I suppose!!)
You could try it on spider mite. I have used it on small grubs, but doubt that it would kill whitefly.

I read that aphids can over-winter on thistles. Skeptical, next winter I took a closer look. They sure do: the leaves were thick with aphids. Then I found one milk thistle with no aphids on its leaves. I pulled it up and found its roots clad in an overcoat with aphids! So one measure you could take is to make sure there are no milk thistles in fallow parts of your garden.

writes:

Thanks for the info John. Aphids haven't been a problem here at all but will try it if some appear. I haven't seen an aphid in ages. The 2-spotted spider mite and common Whitefly appear to be immune to everything including oils (summer and Neem). Today I noticed my prize Gardenia on the back porch has MEALY BUGS!!!!!!!! :*(

This was taken the end of June. You can see the peppers are tall, thin and don't look normal. The tomatoes are still healthy. they're Romas, EarlyGirls and Better Boys. Peppers are mixed Bells:
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee355/Greengarden_2008/summer2008-28.jpg Here's a close up taken yesterday. No peppers and perhaps one flower. All flowers and buds turn brown and fall off. The plants still have white fly and a light mite load. Organics and chemicals didn't do much.
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee355/Greengarden_2008/summer2008-15.jpg This was taken yesterday.You can see the devastation to the tomatoes from the WF and SMs.
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee355/Greengarden_2008/summer2008-16.jpg The two eggplants are totally infested with mites and WF. The "eggs" stopped growing.
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee355/Greengarden_2008/summer2008-17.jpg Another shot:
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee355/Greengarden_2008/summer2008-18.jpg This is what the WFs did to the string beans.
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee355/Greengarden_2008/summer2008-12.jpg I have no idea why these crooknecks suffer from. Their leaves are silvery white. They have only a few WF and no mites. They're not near the gardens.
http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee355/Greengarden_2008/summer2008-13.jpg
I've been gardening since the late 1950s and never seen anything like this before. The other two gardens are still OK but it's only a matter of time before the spider mites get to them - one way or another.
Penelope Periwinkle;809326 Wrote: > On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 22:47:55 -0500, "Marie Dodge"

> look

> of

> smooth and

> are

> the

> and

> Thoughts?

Well you can also use insecticide soap.
--
Ashley Hunt

In hot dry weather and drought conditions these soaps can harm the plants as can the light summer ag oils.
Marie Dodge said:

message

Which is why my practice when I use a soap spray is to do it in the coolest part of the day, then rinse the plants with fresh water afterwards.
Soap kills very quickly. Hit the pests with a good soaking spray of soap solution, then come back to the start of your spray circuit and do a rinse, and the pest will have died and the foliage damage should be minimal.
I can absolutely vouch for this with earwigs, aphids, and leaf beetles.

After enlightenment, the laundry.

Reading these posts I can see how lucky we've been all these years. Seldom had to spray for anything. Gardens thrived. Plants produced abundantly. Almost no "pest" problems. All I had to was plant them, mulch and water them.... and pick baskets full of clean almost free veggies. By the time blight was getting a good start on some of the tomatoes, frost finished them off.

Marie Dodge;810359 Wrote:

Yes you are right every insecticide must be use with care.
--
Ashley Hunt

marie: It sounds like you ruined your plants with all the sprays. you need to read a good book about integrated pest management, and realize that most sprays have adverse impacts. you obviously have no clue of the cumulative adverse impacts of all the chemicals you used. those plants are living things, not machines. Think for a minute, if you are klilling your plants, what it will do to you to eat those peppers? then think about all the money you wasted growing toxic peppers.
I have grown large quantitites of peppers for over 30 years with no pesticides and only year had a virus problem late in the season associated with unusual cold and wet weather. Mites and whiteflies should not be a problem outdoors, their natural enemies will take care of them, but you killed their natural enemies. remove and compost your plants, forget about mites. and plant hairy vetch as a cover crop to prepare for next year.

Uh no, what ruined them is using useless organic sprays and powders, allowing the pests to reach proportions that no chemical can now control. By the time I turned to chemicals it was too late. The plants were too far gone with spider mites and the w/flies to save.
Pro-organic rant snipped.