Pear tree maintenance advice needed

Hello folks, I've just removed a mass of ivy that was growing around my pear tree, which is in the back garden of a newly acquired property. I was surprised to find a long gash in the trunk that was home to a few woodlice. (They were soon flicked out with a twig.) Should I take any further action to disinfect the wound or simply leave it? Also, in order for it to achieve a good crop of fruit this year, does anyone know of a suitable fertilizer I can apply to the surrounding soil? All useful advice on pear tree maintenance gratefully received.
--
Mishy

Mishy;913789 Wrote:

Just leave it. Splits occur on pear tree trunks, and they sort themselves out.
If not cared for for some time, the tree will probably benefit from some winter pruning. Google will find you pruning advice, so I won't waste my time writing it up.
--
echinosum

We moved into this house 40 years ago , a small Bartlett pear tree was growing in the yard, built a deck around the center of the tree and have done absolutely nothing except occasional pruning. There were 2 years we did not have pears due to weather..amazing trees these pears are...