peach picking

How ripe do peaches have to be before picking? (I'm in competition iwth squirrels.) My peaches are orange but hard. Will they ripen inside?

Thanks, Dianna _______________________________________________ To reply, please remove "fluff" from my address.

Reply to
Dianna Visek

Haven't you got a dog or cat to patrol the orchard?

Reply to
Pat

No. Peaches receive 90 percent of their sweetness and flavor within the last 5 days of being ready to pick. That is why all off those we ship in from overseas are hard and without flavor.

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne

Dianna, Not knowing what zone you are in, or the variety of peach you are talking about, it is difficult to give you an exact answer. For instance in zone 7, Red Havens get ripe in early June and Alberta's in late September, and many varieties in between.

Most varieties, except some white peaches, "Blush" a few days before they get ripe. (Blushing is simply turning red on one side- -some varieties all over).

After the peach blushes, grasp in asqueeze slightly(very slightly) . If the peach shows any signs of softening, pick it. If it is softening but still very firm, lay it up and the next day it will be delicious.(do not wash it or put in a cold place, because that will stop the ripening process).

Many years ago when I picked peaches for a commercial grower, the first thing they would do (after de-fuzzing) would be to place the peaches in a cold water bath to slow the ripening process.

Sorry for the long post- -RogerX

Reply to
Rogerx

Peaches destined for market are picked while still quite green and hard and they do ripen nicely, though I think if they are allowed to ripen on the tree they'd be even tastier. Keep in mind that peaches can be picked when quite green and tasteless, yet they'll still stew beautifully and taste delicious. Stew means boil in water and sugar until they soften.

In any race with wildlife, the wildlife will always win. :-(

Reply to
John Savage

I have two compact Red Havens in zone 5b. This is year 4 for them. In the past, the squirrels took every peach, while quite green. It was so discouraging, I'd planned to take them out this spring and replace them with cherry trees. But surprise, surprise, this year the trees are loaded. My husband went out yesterday and picked at least

700. He wasn't very discriminating about ripeness.

They aren't as sweet as store-bought peaches. Is that due to the variety or due to being picked a bit too early?

I was impressed at how much better they tasted in jam. Cooking seems to develop the flavor.

I don't know why this year is different. The squirrel population seems reduced. There may be more cats in the neighborhood.

Regards, Dianna _______________________________________________ To reply, please remove "fluff" from my address.

Reply to
Dianna Visek

The squirrels on my place used to rob the food from the bird feeders, until I bought a squirrel feeder and put it up. Then the only time they would bother the bird feeder was when I let their feeder get empty. Maybe a few feeders would help your squirrel problem.

Getting cherry trees to replace the peach trees will only cause an influx of birds that will eat your cherries. You will be trading one for the other. I have both peaches and cherries, and lose the cherries, but not the peaches.

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne

I have two cherry trees already. The birds share with me. In fact, I got a bumper crop this year. It's the peahes that have been the problem.