Pea supports

I'm growing some sugar snap peas. I've stuck tomato stakes in the ground near each pea plant but it doesn't look like they are going to grab on to the sticks by themselves. Do I need to tie the peas to the stakes or is there some other method for providing support that will work better?

Reply to
General Schvantzkoph

I grow Little Marvel and use straight 4' or 6' bamboo sticks. When the plants are a few inches high, I just stick one in the ground next to each plant. The shoots will find them. As they grow and I see the shoots looking for something to grab on to, I just insert another bamboo stick next to it. Each plant usually gets 3 or 4 sticks and hold it up no problem.

..

Reply to
cloud dreamer

General Schvantzkoph wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com:

You're supposed to provide support for your peas? I've just put mine in the ground and let them go. I do that with the bush beans I plant too.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Can do it either way. Some don't have the room to let them stay on the ground...others find the peas are a target by pests if they leave them down. I like the convenience of being able to see the pea pods easily.

..

Zone 5b in Canada's Far East.

Reply to
cloud dreamer

My feeling is that the more the Sun can penetrate into the vine, the more photosynthesis you'll get and fewer problems from humidity. I just put a couple of 2 x 4 vertically in the ground and then nail a brace to the top to keep the two vertical posts immobilized (posts and lentil type set-up). Then I stretch some large opening type wire fencing between the polls and nail it into place. Real low tech. When I replace it, I'll probably put in metal pipes for my posts and lentil because I think the heat is transfered from the posts into the ground. Bon appetit,

- Billy Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

Reply to
Billy Rose