pawpaw

rec.gardens.edible pawpaw fruit with blackened surface

There is a pawpaw tree here with fruit whose skin turns partially black around June. (N. America, Ohio valley) The coating looks like some sort of fungus or similiar creature. Anyone know what causes such blackening and how to avoid it? Another question concerning a different pawpaw tree about a half mile distant: Early this year the tree looked as if it was going to produce about a million fruits. Nearly every flower had generated from 3 to 5 fruits, each from 1/4 to 1/2 half inch long. When I checked again, 2 weeks later, not a one of those tiny fruits had survived. Any idea why?

Hul

Reply to
Hul Tytus

Five minutes in an online search should help. I've never seen a paw paw tree here in SE Texas but my Dad, raised in Louisiana, used to give the paw paw trees high kudos for good eats. Hope this helps.

Reply to
George Shirley

Thanks George, I'll take a look. I agree with your father's judgement.

Hul

George Shirley wrote:

Reply to
Hul Tytus

replying to Hul Tytus, pefty wrote: The blackening is a sign of ripeness, not an infection. Enjoy when black!

Reply to
pefty

Reply to
Hul Tytus