patio blueberries-container size question

Greetings! I would really appreciate some feedback from folks-especially their experiences on this topic. I have purchased some dwarf blueberry plants to plant in patio containers this spring. Dwarf oinly grow 18 to 24 inches in height.

What SIZE of container should I plant them in? I want to plant them in the container for permanence (not to replant into a bigger container in later time). Yes, I plan to fertilize regularly, but I wanted to know what size container to get to prepare for the planting of these blueberry plants when they arrive in March.

I have seen wooden tubs and clay pots...any one have some advice based on experience with these plants?

Thank you in advance. Best wishes.

Lawrence

Reply to
Lawrence

You dont say where you are. I am in an area that freezes, and I wont use a clay pot. They absorb water and when it freezes and expands the clay flakes off, makes amess and then the pots look bad.

I would get one that is big enough to hold the adult plant's entire root system. How big is the root system on the Dwarf blueberrys supposed to get? Did the planting instructions give you any guidence? How much room do you have on your patio and how big of a pot can you put in without cramping your space? Without the answers to those questions, I would go with as big as I could get away with. Maybe you could call a catalog company that sells them and ask the person with all the information about blueberry planting, what to do.

Good luck. Dwayne (Mine died because I didnt put in enough acidic material and watered them too little.)

Reply to
Dwayne