parts 1 and 2 done

invasive grasses dug up and removed from the large spot they were at and the other spot smothered. :)

now i get to plant that area tomorrow morning before it rains. i hope it rains...

this fall i'll move some strawberry transplants in there to fill it in and to give the rest of the area even more fun.

rain in the forecast for tomorrow and the next few days, we'll see if it actually arrives...

three other smaller patches to do yet, but they won't take as much to do, but as usual they will likely lead to me finding yet more to do back there. :) which is ok, it's the patch i really enjoy doing stuff in the most because it started from such a poor state.

when i was digging it up i was glad to see the topsoil was doing much better and was significantly darker down 8-10 inches.

i was also able to go through the whole patch and pull the tops off the garlic and that wasn't too bad. i have most of it cleared out now. maybe by 2020 i'll have it gone... hahahahaha...

songbird

Reply to
songbird

We're hoping for rain too, one day the weather folk say rain tomorrow, tomorrow they say next week. I think they're flipping a coin or guessing.

Heat today was 98F until late afternoon, then a cool wind came through. Picked a bunch of crowder peas at near sunset, wife picked a lot of cherry tomatoes and other good stuff early morning. I put a new hasp on the back gate. Somehow a 5'5" woman ripped the old steel hasp off with her bare hands. Maybe I should be nicer to her. Nothing else going on here but heat and more heat.

Reply to
George Shirley

George Shirley wrote: ...

mid-80s today, fairly humid, but not as bad as it is supposed to be tomorrow.

i'll get out early and get stuff done as usual and then siesta the rest of the day other than light puttering around.

one nice thing about the well water here, it's astoundingly cold. i can't even get in there with it cranked all the way on cold.

the small fan here is much nicer than the AC and faster. just a few watts but moves the air enough.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

When I was a young boy that's about all we ever had. The Presbyterian church in the town closest to us was the first church in America to have air conditioning. People used to go by and step in just to see what it was all about. Here in Sweat Heaven it's AC or die. I have a big fan in the garage and it is no help at this time of year.

I've ordered a garage door gasket, a very good one. Once I install it I will leave the door into the garage from the house open and put the fan in that door. Tried it out the other day while grandson and I were installing a rack that hangs from the ceiling in the garage. It kept us from dying of heat exhaustion but that's about it. Heat index is supposed to go over 100F again today. Boy, that AC keeping the house at

78F is really feeling good.

Moved the fake owl today, put it right on top of the fig tree. Figs are about done, kumquat tree, only about four feet tall, is absolutely loaded with green fruit and lots of blossoms. Might be a good crop this year.

George

Reply to
George Shirley