Oystershells

I have acess to lots of oystershells,and knowing that they are mostly calcium. I was thinking of using them in my garden,maybe as a mulch for potted plants or buried in the container or garden.Any thoughts?....

Reply to
Hoss

I am wondering how you plan on crushing them. I too have plenty of shells as I harvest the oysters myself, but have not come up with a good way crushing them.

Reply to
Sam

These are things one just longs to find uses for. Like plastic soft-drink containers. A brief Google reveals the crushed shells are used as grit for birds (and ferrets?) and fertilizer. eBay has an offer with some well-cleaned and inside-polished shells for (food) serving. Another reference was from someone who wanted shells for his driveway.

Recycling includes returning shells to the water where new spawn may attach.

I use clam shells as outdoor ashtrays for them as needs 'em.

Crushing? How 'bout a sturdy bag and a small sledgehammer?

For the OP, I doubt much calcium leaches out of whole shells. Smashing up as chips for mulch and near-powder for fertilizer seems feasible.

Reply to
Frogleg

Oyster shells are primarily calcium carbonate similar to limestone and marble chips. Very good for reducing soil acidity but very bad for acid loving plants. You could use crushed oyster shells in lieu of ground limestone or whole oyster shells in places where you would use a marble chip mulch.

Reply to
FarmerDill

Reply to
Hoss