Overhead or underhand

Page 1 of 2
I want to improve my garden. I need to protect it from the brutal winds we have here sometimes, and I would like to shade a portion of it. I am going to build a framework similar to those at plant nurseries. I would also like to make raised beds to make it easier to access everything.
I was wondering about the water system. I would like to have some sprayers from the ceiling, as I see this reduces temperatures, and soaks everything as from a natural rain. Is this a good idea? Should I have the water coming in from the top, plus some coming in pipes in the ground? My garden is getting irrigated spotty right now because the pipes flow into trenches, and then gravity takes it to the plants. The plants at the top of the ditch get more water, and if something interrupts the flow, the plants at the end don't get hardly any water. I want to make an even distribution system so that they all get a proper amount of water. I would like it all to come down from above so that when the water is shut off, it drains out, making it less likely to freeze come cold weather.
Ideas and experiences appreciated.
Steve
--
"...the man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere
critic-the man who actually does the work, even if roughly and imperfectly,

No matter where you live.
<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=safari&rls=en-us&pwst=1&sa=X&o i=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=microclimates&spell=1>
Think how the heck did the Hopi grow corn in a such a place ? As my faulty memory recalls. They hilled small hills of corn on one side to provide a wind break. This also enabled dew to collect and nurture.
<http://ag.arizona.edu/OALS/ALN/aln29/soleri.html
"Book of the Hopi" a great read some time.
Not a simple idea but a challenging one.
Have Fun!
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/06/18/tom-wolfe-praises-print-c_n_107741.html
[...]

Like many .sigs, this may SOUND good, but is actually simplistic.
Where did TR think that "man who actually does the work" got his ideas? In most cases, from the "man who [only] talks or writes about how it ought to be done.
Not to denigrate the classic innovative "Yankee" tinkerer; the man on the job has often found the jig, or fix to make it work, where management was too far removed from the project.
But TR's blustering statement throws out in one fell swoop the whole of theory.
The theorist who appears to be staring out the window for hours or days on end is the one who was thinking out of the box -- the one who changed history.
I suspect TR may have been talking about an idle or unproductive critic, but his statement was poorly worded in that it appeared to indict the "revolutionary" theorist. Did TR ever think about how the theory of the speed of light, e.g. came to Einstein -- as a "thought experiment". Volumes of other examples exist.
A little humility, please, TR!
Persephone
<Persephone> wrote in message > wrote:

Thank you for proving my point.
Now, do you actually have ANYTHING to say about the question?
Steve

Wot question? Should you listen to a back seat driver? Only if you want to stay alive, would be my take.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Now, did you actually understand ANYTHING about the role of theorists in advancing the human condition?
This is not a poster worth debating.
Persephone

Ad hominem...
[...]

Ad hominem...
Persephone
Charlie wrote in

oh! so that's why the llama beans work so well on the peas... lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there

Of course! Rabbit beans work well for peas also, as well as for current tomatoes and other small round fruit.
Charlie

For gourd shaped varieties, ie. butternut, one needs use one of each, approximating the general shape of the squash.
As Lee points out, sometimes one can also match eggs from other animals to the size of the crop being shat upon.
HTH Charlie

Noted, and Mr./Ms./Mrs. Pheremone is now in the round file.
Steve

A typical vice of American politics is the avoidance of saying anything real on real issues. Theodore Roosevelt
--
Bush Behind Bars

Billy

"...for this relief, much thanks."
Hamlet, act 1, sc. 1, l. 8-10.
snip...

Today's assignment:
I feel that statement "It is not OK to attack people personally" is wrong!!!!! To restrict ones' speech in any way is bad. One should have the right to call another: stupid, idiot, fat, ugly or any other derogative or negative term. Most insulting words are defined by the person stating it. Restricting free speech in my book - will do more harm in any society than good. Teachers should have right to say, "You stupid idiot - go back and do it right!" I believe insults help build mental calluses for a stronger mind. People who are offended by statements are just simply weak minded. Free speech should include cussing in public as well.
In my book, people do not have the right to state lies about a person or in which people are directly physically harmed by speech (Like FIRE when there is no fire).
If one does run into a week minded person, one should learn to "duck" or "run like a rabbit" when insulting them. If it is being suggested that "It is not OK to attack people personally" in physical way ... I agree :)
Just for the record, I am attacking the stupid chick's IDEA about free speech, not the stupid chick herself :)
Enjoy Life ... Dan
--
Email "dan lehr at comcast dot net". Text only or goes to trash automatically.

Dan L. wrote:

A person who cannot defend his ideas without resorting to insults and "cussing" is far more weak minded than any individual who takes exception to being insulted.
--John

If a person only uses insults without reasoning, I would agree. One can use both reason and insults to defend their idea. Using reason alone is not always that effective. The stronger mind will pick out the difference. What am I defending is the right to say what one wants in any format they choose. Bending to others on want they think is right may not be right.
Enjoy Life ... Dan
--
Email "dan lehr at comcast dot net". Text only or goes to trash automatically.

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 22:21:11 -0400, "Dan L."

Interesting passage by Einstein follows, that seems to apply somehow. I not be schmart enough to fully grasp and reason out most things, let alone "debate" or "justify" my positions...I depend upon others to speak of that which I understand, yet cannot articulate or communicate on my own...sometimes you just go with your gut and honor the mysterious.
--
Charlie

>Our situation on this earth seems strange. Every one of us appears here

I have several books by and about Einstein, technical and non. A very interesting person. Most people are very religious then and today. When one is born and completely surrounded by religious people one will often accept the norm, Einstein included.
Times were different in my time. Evolution was taught in my science classes in high school, religion was not. I was raised by a strong fundamentalist family. I did not become an Atheist until 28 years old (52 now). The two worlds of religion and science was crashing in my mind. I could not merge or resolve the two worlds. One had to give. I read the three different bibles, King James, NIV and the Standard, back to back along with other references. It took four years of reading. One reference book finished it for me - "Bible Difficulties by Archer". When I finished his book - I was an Atheist. It was like removing the heaviest weights off my shoulders and freed my mind.
If Einstein was born today, I have no doubt he would also be an atheist.
Enjoy Life ... Dan
--
Email "dan lehr at comcast dot net". Text only or goes to trash automatically.

In article

Vegetables:
I have a very small vegetable garden this year- about 10 4x4 boxes.
(3 plants of each listed below) Tomatoes: Romas, Cherry 100s, Brandywines, Beefsteaks. Cucumbers: Divas, Northern Pickling. Peppers: Sweet Banana, Jalopena, California Wonders. Yellow Straight neck Squash, Romain lettuce, Leaf lettuce, Butter Crunch.
Pascal celery (10 plants), Bloomingdale Spinach (15 plants) Kuroda long Carrots (100 plants), Kentucky Wonder Green Beens (60 plants) Broccoli (8 plants), Cauliflower (4 plants) and Early Green Cabbage (4 plants) and ...... Basil (6 plants). All for one person :)
I will start replacement for the leaf lettuces and basil this week. They bolt to seed after 2 to 3 months.
Going try juicing or canning this fall if I have more than I can eat. Only food preserve so far was freezing Green Beans last year. Yum :)
I have already had nice salads - with (Romain, Leaf, Butter Crunch, Spinach, Basil, Banana Pepper and Pickling Cucumbers) Very Tasty :)
My Vegetable Garden growing extremely well this year. No Tomatoes yet :(
Flowers: Annuals from seed: 100 marigolds, 50 Zinnas, 50 Petunias, 50 Snap Dragons. I have dozen Rose Bushes, Evergreens and other Perennials around the house to keep me busy.
My first Vegetable Garden 8 years ago was a disaster, large 50 x 50 feet. Directly into the ground, water logged and full of weeds. Gardening is a major learning experience. Best to start small, learn and build.
And I thought I was going to be ridiculed for my thoughts on Philosophy.
Enjoy Life ... Dan
--
Email "dan lehr at comcast dot net". Text only or goes to trash automatically.

In article

We are all ridiculous, impertinent, and mislead. We are all looking at the shadows on the walls of Plato's cave. Truth is fleeting. All knowledge is transitory. Enjoy the ride. You are better than no one, and no one is better than you. Truth is where you find it.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars