OT...Got Garden? Daily Food Crisis in the News

Page 1 of 4
All you pollyannas can just move along, nothing to see here. Everthing will be taken care of. Just a temporary glitch in the matrix.
Here is today's small sampling of "food insufficiency" stories. Billy may be right, this appears to be a possible "Perfect Storm", or the fulfillment of Dr. Kissinger's proposal.
Any of you Right or Left Coasters have anything reportable on the first article? We can no longer get Lundberg Farms rice here in our town. This has happened in the last week. Food prices are going thru the roof in a big hurry, produce from the fresh sections is outta sight. Cauliflower is 3.00 +, brocolli same, Iceberg Lettuce 1.68, and these are the common items. I picked up a bag of organic gala apples at 1.98#... twelve bucks for the small bag. Unorganic apples are 1.78#. Meat and eggs are going up weekly. Gas is at 3.35 and diesel is 4.12. Oil passed 117.50 today.
It's fast becoming a matter of backing up and remembering and doing as our parents and grands did, to a degree. We have some cush, just gotta give up some of the extraneous horsecrap, eh?
And enlarge our own growing capacity. Both my sons, *and* DILs are finally onboard and borrowing all the garden info and bookmarks I have.
Those hunnert and fitty issues of TMEN sittin' on the shelf are gonna be the new bibles in the future. ;-)
--
Soins et bonne chance

Charlie

<
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KMbtn7YI1k

Enjoy !
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

I do. Thanks

Guess you know about <http://earth.google.com/
Don't let the prices turn you off. There is a free one which is cool.
<http://earth.google.com/tour.html
Bill still learning. We start out putting in a zip codes and it only get more wonderful.
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

That was well done. :-)

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

For those that don't have them... http://www.motherearthnews.com /
It's all there and where you get to see things like this http://www.motherearthnews.com/Sustainable-Farming/2007-06-01/National - Animal-ID-System.aspx
(you'll have to fix the url)
The site is good enough to put up with page by page popover request to subscribe to the newsletter, etc.
found at http://slashdot.org /
Posted by Soulskill on Friday April 25, @05:19AM from the hope-they-don't-unionize dept.
esocid alerts us to news that scientists from the University of Texas at Austin have created a microbe capable of making cellulose, which can then be turned into ethanol. The bacteria use sunlight as an energy source, and the cellulose can be harvested without destroying them. Quoting: "The new cyanobacteria produce a relatively pure, gel-like form of cellulose that can be broken down easily into glucose. 'The problem with cellulose harvested from plants is that it's difficult to break down because it's highly crystalline and mixed with lignins [for structure] and other compounds,' Nobles says. He was surprised to discover that the cyanobacteria also secrete large amounts of glucose or sucrose, sugars that can be directly harvested from the organisms."
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

In article

Let us hope that this actually gets USED and not hidden somewhere.

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

Growing food stuffs in a hungry world not only for cars. What can I say aside from the fat of the land should feed the people.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol_fuel
Bill who wonders if it would just add carbon load to a warming planet.
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

In article

The thing is, the WASTE products from growing foodstuffs can be used to make ethanol. Grain straw and corn stalks. The Cellulose just has to be digested first.
They ought to use fungi to do that. Not only would it be efficient, but there are enough edible cellulose eating mushrooms, you can get an additional food crop first that way.

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

you're making sense. you know that's not allowed! anyone know which version of the assine Farm Bill passed on Friday (or didn't it)? lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there

Nothing yet but they say they are close. For reports Google "farm bill, 2008".
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080426/BUSI NESS01/804260339/-1/LIFE04
Farm bill prunes credits for ethanol
By PHILIP BRASHER REGISTER WASHINGTON BUREAU April 26, 2008
Washington, D.C. Congressional negotiators reached agreement Friday on a new farm bill that would nick crop subsidies and reduce the tax credit that underpins the ethanol industry.
Some details were still to be worked out over the weekend, including a tightening of income-eligibility limits for farm subsidies.
However, the deal broke an impasse that had delayed final work on the bill for months.
The House and Senate passed competing versions of the bill last fall. Advertisement
However, President Bush threatened to veto any bill that used what he considered tax increases to pay for higher spending. The House and Senate were also at odds with each over funding.
"Everybody took some cuts," said Sen. Tom Harkin, the Iowa Democrat who is chairman of the Senate Agriculture Committee.
White House spokesman Scott Stanzel declined to comment on the agreement, saying administration officials had not seen the entire package.
The final bill could be put to the vote of a House-Senate conference committee as early as Monday.
Grain and cotton growers successfully fought off a significant cut in the $5 billion in fixed annual payments that they receive. Under the deal, those payments would be reduced by $400 million over a 10-year period.
Iowa farmers and landowners receive about $500 million annually in fixed payments.
The federal tax credit that subsidizes the ethanol industry would be trimmed from 51 cents to 45 cents a gallon to help offset the cost of a package of tax incentives for horse racing, timber and other industries.
A new subsidy, worth as much as $1.01 a gallon, would be created for ethanol made from sources other than corn, including crop residue and wood waste.
Reducing the subsidy for conventional grain-based ethanol would lower the price of corn by less than 3 cents a bushel, said Iowa State University economist Bruce Babcock. Corn prices in Iowa were more than $5.30 a bushel Friday.
Lawmakers agreed to extend a tariff on imported ethanol through 2010. It is scheduled to expire at the end of this year.
Harkin preserved $1.1 billion in funding for the Conservation Security Program, which would expand the program from 16 million to 80 million acres.
The program provides payments to farmers for practices that reduce erosion.
Congressional aides were also still working on final details of an optional new subsidy program that would protect farmers against drops in yields as well as market prices. The program has been a top priority for corn growers in Iowa, who say that rising production costs have raised the financial stakes for a crop failure.
"There's no question we're glad to see that they've finally come to an agreement" on the bill, said Ron Litterer, a Greene farmer who is president of the National Corn Growers Association.
Existing farm programs were scheduled to expire last fall but have been extended several times and are now set to end next Friday.
On Thursday, lawmakers agreed to drop a revenue source that the White House had objected to and instead decided to get money they needed through extending user fees paid by importers. Under federal budget rules, user fees do not count as taxes.
The user fees and some spending cuts were needed to pay for boosting nutrition programs, including food stamps, and creating a disaster relief program sought by farmers in North Dakota, Montana and other drought-prone states.
--

Billy

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=7WBB0svwMdY&feature=related

<snicker>
Not I. Now you are scaring me. :-(

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

I'll be stocking up on the low sodium (No salt added) canned veggies before they go any higher... Water costs for gardening eat me alive so it's not economically feasible to make it more than just a hobby. :-(
I'll be studying more of the Texas native edible plants. Zeroscape items that don't need to be babied/watered.
I'll also stock up on ammo so I can hunt my own meat...
Squirrel is tasty in season and I have a hunting license. Same for fishing wild fishies. Deer are also plentiful and I have somewhere I can hunt without having to pay a $1,000.00 hunting lease!
Might even learn to like Prairie dog. <eg>

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

I'm glad that there are still the commons (property of the people, for the people) to e used. Most of it was cut down, destroying the game and plants to be found there, the recharging the aquifers and clean water, the preservation of the top soil, and the cleaning of the air. Sounds like you have some private property lined up but this used to be every person's right before the commons were taken. The oceans are being closed as well as they are the last vestiges of the commons. Grand Banks are fished out. There will be no salmon season on the west coast as we try to save the salmon from extinction. Farmed salmon just isn't the same, nutritionally or in terms of genetic diversity. You probably saw Jerod Diamond's article. "The Worst Mistake of the Human Race". www.environnement.ens.fr/perso/claessen/agriculture/mistake_jared_diamond .pdf It argues that we never had it so good as when we were hunter gatherers.
You may want to check out xeriplants.pdf www.abcwua.org/pdfs/xeriplants.pdf a mish-mash of landscaping and garden plants. Thanks to Jangchub, I'm trying to grow prickly pear cactus now:-) The county enjoyed how we conserved last year, so they raised the water rates, and now we get to do it again.
Good hunting.
--

Billy

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=7WBB0svwMdY&feature=related

Had a nice 3 lb (before cleaning) catfish on the grill with sage, ginger, basil, and dill this evening. He was swimming 15 ft. away 25 minutes before he got et.
cheers
oz, who will never run out of catfish and squirrels and am, with all your kind help, beginning to figure out some of the gardening "thang"
Is Jerod Diamond the same guy who wrote a book on the topic?

Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed", (Amazon.com product link shortened) 2/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid08958200&sr=1-1 and "Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies ", (Amazon.com product link shortened)08958200&sr=1-3 . Both of them cover land use issues. Both extremely informative and real page turners.

--

Billy

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=7WBB0svwMdY&feature=related

The theory that switching from our hunter/gatherer society to one of domestication was a huge mistake. Some anthropologist wrote a book on the topic, but can't remember the author or title. I have Gun, Germs, and Steel, got it at the thrift store but haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

In article

Yes, it is private property. Unlike California, pretty much all of the land it Texas IS private property except for the few and far between State Parks, but hunting on those is regulated too.

Still plenty of places to fish here. Fishing fees run the hatcheries so waterways get restocked.

Indeed. For one thing, it limited the population to sustainable levels.

You need some spineless prickly pear pads to use as starts? There is a HUGE one just up the road from me.