OT Fifteen reasons to grow your own food.

Page 1 of 2
Those here might find this interesting.
http://www.thestreet.com/story/11012915/cellulose-wood-pulp-never-tasted-so-good.html

On 7/10/2011 10:43 PM, Nad R wrote:

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11012915/cellulose-wood-pulp-never-tasted-so-good.html
It is pure hype to attribute wood pulp as the cellulose source in food.

I imagine those that wrote the article did their research. Now I will add the word "cellulose" to my bad food label readings. Along with "High Fructose Corn Syrup", Aluminum and artificial flavoring and coloring.
Taco Bell is also off my list!

What do you find offensive about cellulose, R?
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True

Bad memories of the eighties. I bought a loaf of low fat bread that was made with wood as part of their high fiber content that I did not know at the time. The bread in my toaster caught on fire not to mention the bread made a terrible sandwich. The the thought of sawdust in food is a turn off. Companies love to fool people with pushing the truth to the limits if not lies. I want truth in labeling.
Is it unreasonable to go to a restaurant and ask for a chicken sandwich or a hamburger that is 100% Chicken or 100% Beef. Corporations just want to screw with people in the name of "Steeling" a dollar.

Back in the day about 30 years ago I first came in contact with added fiber. Seems some paperback manufacturer had lots of unsold books so they bought a bread manufacturer. Heat up the books and bleach and wow we had fiber enriched bread.
................. http://www.ideafinder.com/history/inventions/wonderbread.htm
"In 1986, a new reduced-calorie Wonder Bread was launched. Made with fibers from natural sources, Wonder Light is the company’s most successful new product in decades."
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

http://honest-food.net /

I believe that was the bread that caught my toaster on fire. Sawdust is a natural source:)

Bill, do you use bleached white flour, or unbleached white flour?
(Amazon.com product link shortened) 62/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid71102831&sr=1-1 Good Calories, Bad Calories: Fats, Carbs, and the Controversial Science of Diet and Health (Vintage) by Gary Taubes
p. 96 White flour's low protein, vitamins, and mineral content made it "less liable than whole meal flour to infestations by beetles and the depredations of rodents", as Sir Stanley Davidson and Reginald Passmore observed in their textbook Human Nutrition and Dietetics (1963).
--
- Billy
America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.

I use whole wheat and all-purpose unbleached flowers. I make my own bread, pancake mix and biscuits from the basics. Some day I will get a grinder and make my own flour from wheat berries. I am not sure but the berries i believe have a much longer self life than the flour itself. I have seen organically grown fifty pound containers of wheat berries for sale but I do not remember the cost.
I have this book. Now that my garden and yard is shape and I am maintenance mode until harvest I have more time during the day to do other things. it is a good time and get a new sourdough mother starter going again. During the winter my home is not warm enough for the mother starter to grow. Now it is warm enough and I have thine.

In article

Unbleached but I'd guess anything manufactured contains bleached flour. When Walniut Acer's was alive I'd purchase wheat berries and grind my own with I think it was called a corona wheat mill which had metal plates. Just about the same time 1986 some genius discovered that if you added cement to cattle feed they put on more weight. The world of quantity became ascendant and quality declined in many commodities.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

http://honest-food.net /

Eeeew! Is that for real?

Yup.
http://jas.fass.org/content/49/5/1364.full.pdf
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

http://honest-food.net /

I've often wondered why beef was constipating. Now I just want to kick someone's ass!

What about the genius that thought of feeding cattle beef. Resulting in Mad Cow Disease? Their are too many stupid people in charge on this planet that just wants to make money anyway they can regardless of the consequences. What ever happened to making an "Honest Living"?

Bill who putters wrote:

Mineral supplements work and the price of those mineral supplements matter. I take it the cement in question is tiny quantities of finely powdered portland mineral that gives the cattle all the calcium, potassium and iron they'll need.
I've seen "powdered shale" of supplement stores for the finely powdered calcium and magnesium. I considered it until I read that it has over 0.01% iron. As it is I donate blood regularly to make sure I don't accumulate iron in my body.
Sometimes stuff that works comes with terrible PR potential.

And more than often that stuff fails horribly, like feeding cattle with beef. I want the natural not the artificial crap that people put in my food. That is why I garden and preserve as much natural food as I can. That is why I have my own grass fed only cow and chickens.
Go ahead and enjoy those sawdust products from fast food joints. I won't stop you.

Nad R wrote:

It's not s much the sawdust I mind as it is the "pink slime" , AKA ammonia-treated waste products they add back to the ground beef . Google it ...
--
Snag
Learning keeps

<http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/31/us/31meat.html?pagewanted=all
To reiterate, the USDA isn't there to protect consumers. The USDA is there to help market agricultural(?) products.
I can't imagine this kind of disease laden crap being sold in Germany, or France.
--
- Billy
America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.
Billy wrote:

the FDA should be there to protect consumers but i don't think it has the teeth to do much.

the sad thing is that all that stuff will make people sick and thus increase health-care costs for the entire society.
if we really are serious in the USoA of getting health care costs under control we need to deal much more with preventable stuff. food borne diseases are one that must be costing billions a year.
songbird

The FDA is supposed to help consumers, but they are under-funded. The USDA has congressional support because agricultural association make campaign donations (bribes). All the politicians have to do is to come up with plausible deniability, for votes for cash.

A tripling of food born diseases since
They are sweeping up remnants from the slaughter houses, treat it with ammonia to kill the pathological bacteria (but often don't use enough because it imparts an "off" flavor), it then has it fat separated from the protein, and then they blend it into hamburger, all to save about 3 cents a pound for a pound of ground beef.

"Officials at the United States Department of Agriculture endorsed the companys ammonia treatment, and have said it destroys E. coli to an undetectable level. They decided it was so effective that in 2007, when the department began routine testing of meat used in hamburger sold to the general public, they exempted Beef Products."
"School lunch officials said that in some years Beef Products Inc. testing results were worse than many of the programs two dozen other suppliers, which use traditional meat processing methods. From 2005 to 2009, Beef Products had a rate of 36 positive results for salmonella per 1,000 tests, compared to a rate of nine positive results per 1,000 tests for the other suppliers, according to statistics from the program."

The above report was published in December 30, 2009. I guess if you don't read the New York Times, you'll never hear about these FUBARs.