OT Fifteen reasons to grow your own food.

Those here might find this interesting.

Nad R

It is pure hype to attribute wood pulp as the cellulose source in food.

Reply to
Frank

I imagine those that wrote the article did their research. Now I will add the word "cellulose" to my bad food label readings. Along with "High Fructose Corn Syrup", Aluminum and artificial flavoring and coloring.

Taco Bell is also off my list!

Reply to
Nad R

You got a citation for that, Frank?

Reply to
Billy

What do you find offensive about cellulose, R?

Reply to
Billy

No wonder I still feel hungry after eating Sonic & Taco Bell.

Reply to
Mysterious Traveler

Of course not. I only do stuff in depth like this if I get paid for it. And, I'm not going to try to teach the op chemistry, or you for that matter ;)

Reply to
Frank

Bad memories of the eighties. I bought a loaf of low fat bread that was made with wood as part of their high fiber content that I did not know at the time. The bread in my toaster caught on fire not to mention the bread made a terrible sandwich. The the thought of sawdust in food is a turn off. Companies love to fool people with pushing the truth to the limits if not lies. I want truth in labeling.

Is it unreasonable to go to a restaurant and ask for a chicken sandwich or a hamburger that is 100% Chicken or 100% Beef. Corporations just want to screw with people in the name of "Steeling" a dollar.

Reply to
Nad R

Back in the day about 30 years ago I first came in contact with added fiber. Seems some paperback manufacturer had lots of unsold books so they bought a bread manufacturer. Heat up the books and bleach and wow we had fiber enriched bread.

"In 1986, a new reduced-calorie Wonder Bread was launched. Made with fibers from natural sources, Wonder Light is the company?s most successful new product in decades."

Reply to
Bill who putters

I believe that was the bread that caught my toaster on fire. Sawdust is a natural source:)

Reply to
Nad R

Granted, I want to have my food labled, so that I know what I'm eating. With obesity what it is these days, high fiber foods "may" give satisfaction without the calories. Presently, my preference is to put extra lettuce (garden grown to be sure) on my BLTs. Soon I'll be able to add thick slices of garden tomatoes to that combo.

Reply to
Billy

Bill, do you use bleached white flour, or unbleached white flour?

Calories, Bad Calories: Fats, Carbs, and the Controversial Science of Diet and Health (Vintage) by Gary Taubes

p. 96 White flour's low protein, vitamins, and mineral content made it "less liable than whole meal flour to infestations by beetles and the depredations of rodents", as Sir Stanley Davidson and Reginald Passmore observed in their textbook Human Nutrition and Dietetics (1963).

Reply to
Billy

test

Reply to
aluckyguess

I use whole wheat and all-purpose unbleached flowers. I make my own bread, pancake mix and biscuits from the basics. Some day I will get a grinder and make my own flour from wheat berries. I am not sure but the berries i believe have a much longer self life than the flour itself. I have seen organically grown fifty pound containers of wheat berries for sale but I do not remember the cost.

have this book. Now that my garden and yard is shape and I am maintenance mode until harvest I have more time during the day to do other things. it is a good time and get a new sourdough mother starter going again. During the winter my home is not warm enough for the mother starter to grow. Now it is warm enough and I have thine.

Reply to
Nad R

Unbleached but I'd guess anything manufactured contains bleached flour. When Walniut Acer's was alive I'd purchase wheat berries and grind my own with I think it was called a corona wheat mill which had metal plates. Just about the same time 1986 some genius discovered that if you added cement to cattle feed they put on more weight. The world of quantity became ascendant and quality declined in many commodities.

Reply to
Bill who putters

Eeeew! Is that for real?

Reply to
FarmI

I've often wondered why beef was constipating. Now I just want to kick someone's ass!

Reply to
Steve Peek

What about the genius that thought of feeding cattle beef. Resulting in Mad Cow Disease? Their are too many stupid people in charge on this planet that just wants to make money anyway they can regardless of the consequences. What ever happened to making an "Honest Living"?

Reply to
Nad R

Yup.

Bill who putters

Mineral supplements work and the price of those mineral supplements matter. I take it the cement in question is tiny quantities of finely powdered portland mineral that gives the cattle all the calcium, potassium and iron they'll need.

I've seen "powdered shale" of supplement stores for the finely powdered calcium and magnesium. I considered it until I read that it has over

0.01% iron. As it is I donate blood regularly to make sure I don't accumulate iron in my body.

Sometimes stuff that works comes with terrible PR potential.

Reply to
Doug Freyburger