OT English System vs Imperial System of Measure

Page 1 of 2

I have traveled to Canada on occasion. Canada uses the Imperial Gallon as 4.5 liters. Where the US Gallon is 3.7 liters for gasoline containers.
So can I assume we both learned something here? You now know what the English System is now?
And that we both need to be conscious of the English vs Imperial differences? In the US every day life people use the English System. In the Science Arena is the only area in the US that uses the Metric System in which I am also familure with.
But as you stated you seem to use a mixed system, Celsius for temperature and inches for measurement. Is this common to mix it up in your part of the world? Here in the US the two systems are separate, no mix. It is one or the other.
Perhaps in the future I should use the term "Gallon:US" and others us "gallon:UK" So in your part of the world, do you have Five Gallon Buckets? if so I wonder what the size difference is.

wrote in message

This being Usenet my guess has as much relevance as any ;) I have gleaned from the regular posts that we are not a bunch of teenagers and this being the case, those of us from the UK or Aus will have been taught the imperial system at school and then "converted" to Metric at some time in our working lives. Like FarmI I know what 2 inches looks like I know what a foot looks like I just have to mentally convert them when speaking to the youngsters or risk the blank stares. However "they" do not think of us older people when they tell us the fence must be 198cm high ( 6 foot 6 inches) not an easy sum to do if your hats on tight. So no, in every day life we use the Metric system its just some of us are better at visualising feet and inches.
My Five Gallon Bucket is a 20 litre jerry can.
Mike
wrote in message

LOL. That says it in a nutshell, methinks. But don't you have a whole collection of 20 litre lidded buckets? My potting shed has lots of them although I use the smaller ones (perhaps 15 litres???) without their lids for weeding, carting manure aroudn in etc. Very, very handy things are those tough poly buckets without their lids (with or without handles).

I like this item called the Bucket Boss for my five gallon buckets. One holds my pruning tools and another empty bucket for the weeds. A nice item for those five gallon buckets.
Enjoy Life... Nad R
Garden in zone 5a
be given> wrote:

I think I prefer the Fiskars one on that same page - I like the fact that the Fiskars only sits on the outside of the bucket and doesn't go over the lip of the bucket. I dont't use the big 5 gall buckets in my garden as they hang too low - the smaller (15 litre?) ones are a better size for someone of my height and perhaps the Fiskars might fit one of those as I think the diameter would be the same - must check.
I currently drag my smaller tools around my acreage in a plastic rectangular shaped, plastic tool caddy thingo and I have 2 of them, one larger than the other.
I love that seat for the 5 gallon bucket! I really, really want one! I might even break my own rule and buy one online from bloody Amazon (spit!).

The seat does look desirable, not sure if the bucket will hold me up. The friskers holder sags too much for heavier items. I have the 35 pocket bucket boss and not the one listed. The one I have has mesh pockets for wet items. I bought my bucket boss at the local big box hardware store.
I like the five gallon bucket, some items are long, like the compost temperature probe and I keep a rubber mallet when taking down and putting back up the wire fencing when i turn the compost piles. Pruning saw and other smaller tools are in it... Like the almighty cell phone or my iPad.
I have a garden wagon that I have on occasion let the sides down and sit in it on occasion. I use the wagon for shovels and carrying large pots from inside to outside the home.
--
Enjoy Life... Nad R Garden in zone 5a All postings uses the American
System of Measures.

LOL. So it's NOT called an 'English' system.

"American system", "US system", "UK system", "imperial system", "Metric System" almost every country has a measurement system with minor differences. There is even an "Australian System".
However most are the two camps, "English and Imperial" with liquid measure having the greatest difference with the same named units.
Yes, the US for the most part IS the English System.
--
Enjoy Life... Nad R Garden in zone 5a All postings uses the American
System of Measures.
wrote in message

Is there? The only measurements that I know of that are used in Australia are the standard international ones. Do you have a cite?

Sigh.
wrote in message

The only uniquely Australian measurement I know of involves "a cut lunch and a water bag"
Mike
Bloke Down The Pub wrote:

Sydharb
wrote in message

LOL. Good one, but is it officially a unit of measure?
FarmI wrote:

Would I pull your leg?
http://www.pipa.com.au/images/pdf/Sydharb.pdf
wrote in message

Yes you would you rogue!

PIPA indeed! Where the 'A' means 'Assocation'!

A harbor as a unit of measure? Only in the land of Down Under.
But then I Googled "sydharb" first on the list was Unusual measurements.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unusual_units_of_measurement
The dog is back in the house and his "Dog Years" are getting shorter and I am going back to sleep and get a few more "Decimalisations".

wrote in message

LOL. Now this is much more fun than Weights and Measures. What about being a few roos short in the paddock? Hasn't got all the chairs at home? A few slabs short of a barbie?

http://www.measurement.gov.au/measurementsystem/Pages/default.aspx
I find the terms are mostly semantics. Like the Term "American System" is mostly the "English System".
--
Enjoy Life... Nad R Garden in zone 5a All postings uses the American
System of Measures.
wrote in message

Did you actually read the cite? Your reference to there being an "Australian System" of measurement is not supported by anything on that site. In fact just the reverse. The Australian Government Legislation states quite specifically that Australia uses 'the International system of Units'.
As a nation, I'm sure we'd like to think we can punch above our weight but I don't know any Aussie who'd be so arrogant as to claim that an 'International system' is an Australian one.

Perhaps you could correct Wikipedia's entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_customary_units

It does seem incorrect, a European must have wrote it.
--
Enjoy Life... Nad R Garden in zone 5a

wrote in message

Well here's your chance to make it make even less sense than it does now.