OT but a welcome bit of brightness

...profits, eating, survival... ...Easter Island...

sure, but that doesn't mean it won't recover if replanted and the animals are kept from destroying the seedlings. like many things it's a matter of will.

i've read most of what he's published.

he is not building topsoil, he amends it heavily with organic materials that he brings in by the truckload. they get run through the cow barn, the pigs, chickens, before they get scattered on the fields.

i don't think he's much wrong in what he does, but some aspects are not sustainable in the sense that he is using inputs from other areas.

i still give him high marks for what he does compared to many farmers. he at least does understand the importance of topsoil.

he loses marks in that he could be using organic corn for his meat chickens (he complained that his source had too much chaff/cob in it, well duh, get a different supplier or grow your own).

his cows are fed from hay grown on his land, he could change to more bison as the grazing animals and not have to harvest hay or have barns.

forced labor on farms and, yes, prostitution.

what part do you need expanded? non-profit, for-profit or government?

i was able to grab the smallest format for them (6Mb vs 62Mb) and watched them a bit ago.

some interesting parts in there worth watching. being a gardener i like the whole system approach of permaculture.

sequester some percentage of carbon for a longer period than the current method he's using. probably also increase some of the nutrient cycling because of the higher bacterial count in the soil. depending upon how he gets the carbon source would make me rate it better or worse...

only one of the many positive aspects of eating well.

yeah, plus he gets points for feral pig harvesting. :)

i'm not talking about commodifying, i'm talking about self-teaching using freely available materials. commodities cost something and are easily exchanged. knowledge doesn't cost anything, but does take some time to learn.

the community for many people these days is not local but virtual and distributed. much like this medium of usenet. unfortunately or fortunately virtual community still isn't enough for most people.

i don't think we disagree about a lot of this, but education reform is a side tangent i'll leave alone...

yeah, but for some reason there seems to be no shortage of children born in war torn countries full of starving and displaced people.

yes, i know the normal explanations for why population goes the way it does, but it isn't the whole story. which is why i talk about birth control choices, women's rights, fundamentalism and governmental stability.

i'm not, i'm stating facts that are well known. when it comes down to the final equation where each calorie is critical does it matter who eats the one that tips the balance for another person in another place to starve? you may never actually be able to point to any one situation in that fine a detail, but i think you understand that the carrying capacity is a hard limit that once passed is going to take it's due one way or another.

yep. as exploitive omnivores we are just too capable and we are also making the mistake of making plants too capable. if i were a farmer who was into breeding corn i would be breeding for a sustainable corn yeild within the natural soil rate of recovery and not trying to breed a more productive sucker of nutrients from the soil as seems to be the direction of so many others.

the feedback mechanisms outside of human behavior we have to control the population are the accumulation of poisons (making reproduction less likely), environmental degradation making offspring less likely to survive and general catastrophes (volcanism, weather, comet strike, sun getting weaker or going nova), probably others i can't think of at the moment too, but those seem to be the biggies.

this is all a far tangent, but yes, i think that for many they would prefer any situation than having to get an abortion. for the rest of it i mostly agree.

the problem with reality is that it exists no matter what we might desire from wishful thinking. deniers to climate warming and CO2 sequestration being important are eventually going to come around or die off. there will be, in time, enough people who will act differently that it will no longer matter what the minority deniers do. like scientific theories, in time the people who are unable to adapt will be replaced and the world will continue.

just that the short term can get rather messy.

unfortunately, these are links in books to on-line resources that are gone stale or vanished by the time i get the book. as time goes on i see it getting even worse.

how can i honestly evaluate an argument or a theory and results of experiments if the data is gone? the web just isn't a scholarly medium as much as it should or could be.

*snickers*

...rant trimmed a bit :) ...

to improve things a fair bit would be to start finding the supports in place which make such thinking "normal" and starting to challenge that system and get reforms in place.

unfortunately i think some of it (maybe even a fairly large portion) is based in religious ideas and practices. so it is a major challenge. we no longer have to "go forth, be fruitful and multiply and subdue the earth" that's already been done, we need to put out a revision of that bit and people get pissed when you talk about revising "The Word".

around here the non-harvested part is not enough to cover the soil, it's stubble for the most part. this is where i do like some other source of production than annual crops. perennial forms of the same crops would be an interesting change. in some ways i do that already via the alfalfa and birdsfoot trefoil green manure and forage crop, but it's not quite the same as a blueberry bush or a beet tree. i'm very interested in what might eventually happen with genetic tinkering, but we're a long ways from that tinkering being really systemically smart. i'd love to do a Rip Van Winkle for about

500 years...

roads should be made from lighter materials too especially in southern climates...

compost is processed organic materials, in some areas it would sequester a lot of CO2 quickly if any of them were buried without any composting step at all. like around here where the water table is fairly high. burying materials here would be very similar to how peat is formed, just stack it up down under the ground where not much air or critters get to it and it will stay put for a long time. i have dug down and found trees buried here only a few feet down. they've been there for quite a long time as this is old agricultural land (cleared in the late 1800s) -- those trees have been buried close to two hundred years.

charcoal is one way of taking carbon out of the cycle, i do agree with that, but the added steps of processing is not needed in some locations -- let's take advantage of those locations and get a larger percentage of the material sequestered than would happen if turned into charcoal. the volatile compounds trapped in the wood are better left in there if we don't need them for any other process.

agreed. for some locations it's an ok stop-gap measure, but it's not sustainable IMO.

yea, i know, i just gotta roll with it sometimes. :) like a preacher on a street corner...

no, it starts as celluose when harvested and as it is harvested it gets heated up by what is already burning (or a starter fuel like wood taken from a wood lot). so that forms the base for the process, the celluose is heated and gives off wood gas (which is burned immediately as a fuel to the engine) and the result dropped out the back is the ashes from some burning, the charcoal from the wood gas process and a percentage of unburned organic materials which keep the soil critters in some alternate food sources. converting it all to charcoal removes the cover and structure that the soil needs and the fungi need the cellulose sources too.

i'm not sure how large such a thing could be or how it would all work, but for a sustainable system of harvesting that doesn't need oil it could be an alternative. or even in combination with wood as a fuel. as someone who likes steam engines and trains i just kinda love the idea of a tractor that actually takes some fuel right from the plant it is harvesting so that it doesn't need to be refueled at all or as often.

no, that's a waste as the heat directly from burning the cellulose would be what you want. not a loss from another layer of processing. also the gas given off and condensed if using the cellulose to produce both heat and charcoal can be stored and used just like gasoline. no need to turn anything into H2.

yeah, the hydrates and the methane from thawing arctic tundra and permafrost are also feedback additions that we have to worry about and counter. add more decomposition of carbon compounds in northern soils as they warm...

there is a possibility that the northern areas will grow more trees as a result so the feedback cycle might be very interesting. i still think we need to reduce CO2 below what we are adding so the oceans can recover and increase the pH. corals and shells are important parts of building shoreline erosion breaks.

it could be a mix of planted species, but the result is still the same. we get a portion of buried charcoal from each pass of the harvester/planter and that adds up over time to a significant amount of sequestered CO2. if you have to spread something on the soil wouldn't it be best if it were done by using fuel derived right there instead of from fuel transported in?

if we can go perennial plants for cereal grain production (corn, wheat, rice) and also perennial legumes (i ain't giving up my beans bucko :) ) for adding some nitrogen that still does not get charcoal into the ground. there would still have to be some method of harvesting and spreading the charcoal and it makes the most sense to me if it were to happen as a part of the same process be it from burning the fields once in a while (bad idea as all that energy is then wasted where it could otherwise be used as a food source or a fuel -- not counting the air pollution aspect).

no, i'm going to use cellulose to create more heat, wood gases (wood alcohols, etc.), charcoal and probably some ashes too along with some of the harvested organic material also going back onto the surface. a mixed output system driven by a mixed input system.

it has to be buried deeply enough to smother it. otherwise you'll lose even more of it to further burning. quenching with water -- water too heavy. pipe the exhaust into the trench with the charcoal so that it helps smother the charcoal, but also the soil will trap some of that exhaust.

corn, rice, soybeans are usually harvested when the seeds are firm enough (dry enough) to not be damaged by harvesting and further processing. i'm pretty sure all the plants are dry enough to burn, the dust flies during harvesting around here. if the harvest is too wet there is a problem with potential rot so that is an aspect of harvesting that is watched pretty carefully. i do know that loads are tested before they are put into the grain elevator for moisture content.

sometimes there is a wet period during the harvest where the corn has to be dried further but this is to prevent troubles with rotting in the crop, not with how well the stalks and cobs might burn. might actually work out that the waste heat from the making of the charcoal that it could be used to partially dry the corn if needed too.

once in a while it is too wet too often and a crop is lost due to spoilage in the field. that can just be left until it gets freeze dried and can then be run through a charcoal machine in the spring during planting. for warmer and wetter climates it could all be turned under or left fallow to collapse naturally. a loss of a crop and a loss of a chance to sequester some carbon but not likely to be a regular happening because if it was then they'd be growing something else anyways...

consider for a longer term project where fast growing trees could be planted, then after a few years (seven or less for some poplars i've seen grow here) they could be chopped and left to dry and then chipped and burned on the fly and the charcoal buried at the same time. no crop needed to harvest but there might be a wood gas surplus that could be stored and then used later as fuel. not sure about that though as wood chipping might need a lot more power than dragging a single blade through the soil and spinning some blades and a fan.

...infrastructure costs from rising sea-levels...

yeah. Sandy was a wakeup call, but i think the government is still hitting the snooze button and likely will continue until we replace the alarm clock with a rabid porcupine dressed in oil as a disguise.

*le sigh*

the larger and more long term point is that i really think that no matter what happens short term it will get dealt with one way or another. either Momma Earth will take us out or we'll learn to live within what we've got. the only other alternative is to head off to other places in the universe and in order to do that we'd have to figure out how to live in a closed environment for an extremely long period of time that is even smaller than a planet. Biosphere II pointed out that we still have a lot to learn there.

last year for us the Roma tomatoes were ok for adding to the salsa to give it some more thickness, but they didn't do much for juice.

we put the green ones in the garage in a place where the sun didn't fall and they ripened enough for a while afterwards that we ate and put some up and made more salsa. not the best tasting, but better than throwing them out. some did rot. the worms got those.

just don't ask me to pull it...

Steve Peek recently posted to r.g.e or r.g he's got a fairly large blueberry plot so might have good advice about this.

har!...

read a while ago.

these are harvestable sources of fuels and materials.

not sure about this, once it falls apart then it can become host to bacteria, algae, fungi or concentrated by a critter which eventually dies and parts fall to the ocean floor. if we stop dumping such compounds into the oceans then eventually they will settle out and then get covered up. in millions of years they get pushed down under the continents and heated up to the point they break down or get turned back into oil.

if it is large enough to be filtered out then it is: incorporated in the animal, excreted or the animal is eaten before it has done any of the previous two things.

if it is incorporated in the animal then at some point it settles out and gets buried. excreted materials are usually coated with mucous often also with other stuff like bacteria and fungi. i.e. also things that tend to clump and settle.

i'm not worried about particles i'm worried about molecules that act as hormones, but as long as we stop putting so many into the waterways then eventually they get deactivated or absorbed and then are settled out. if enough get absorbed by people and that causes reproductive problems or more disease then eventually that will take care of the problem as the population will decrease either enough that the effect goes away or so badly that we go away. sure i don't want people to go away completely, i just want moderation and respect for other species.

i think the planet has a vast amount of ability to heal and cleanse things if we don't overload it. right now the world is telling us in clear ways that we are overloading it.

ditto!

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Replanting is an option, but not a simple one. The problem is similar to what the Greenlanders found. Once their cattle had grazed away the natural pastures, they didn't recover in any meaningful sense, because the weather was so cool. With the ground cover gone, there was erosion, and then the topsoil was gone, and their problems just cascaded.

Bird, can you reference this? Where do the amendments come from, and what do you mean they get run through the cow barn, the pigs, chickens? Are we talking feed, or soil amendments?

While its true that at Polyface our omnivores (poultry and pigs) do eat local GMO (genetically modified organism)-free grain in addition to the forage, the land base required to feed and metabolize the manure is no different than that needed to sustain the same animals in a confinement setting. Even if they ate zero pasturage, the land is the same. The only difference is our animals get sunshine, exercise, fresh pasture salad bars, fresh air, and a respectful life.

It has been charged that Polyface is a charade because it depends on grain from industrial farms to maintain soil fertility. First of all, at Polyface we do not assume that all nutrient movement is anti-environmental. In fact, one of the biggest reasons for animals in nature is to move nutrients uphill, against the natural gravitational flow from high ground to low ground. This is why low lands and valleys are fertile and the uplands are less so. Animals are the only mechanism nature has to defy this natural downward flow. Fortunately, predators make the prey animals want to lounge on high ground (where they can see their enemies), which insures that manure will concentrate on high lookout spots rather than in the valleys. Perhaps this is why no ecosystem exists that is devoid of animals. The fact is that nutrient movement is inherently nature-healing.

But, it doesnt move very far. And herein lies the difference between grain used at Polyface and that used by the industry: We care where ours comes from. Its not just a commodity. It has an origin and an ending, start to finish, farmer to eater. The closer we can connect the carbon cycles, the more environmentally normal we will become. Second, herbivores are the exception to the entire negative nutrient flow argument because by pruning back the forage to restart the rapid biomass accumulation photosynthetic engine, the net carbon flow compensates for anything lost through harvest. Herbivores do not require tillage or annuals, and that is why all historically deep soils have been created by them, not by omnivores.

------- So, the Christian libertarian environmentalist capitalist lunatic's system isn't quite closed, but it is creating topsoil (soil with the highest concentration of organic matter and microorganisms), which other meat producers don't.

You have a reference for this?

Again, a reference, if you have it. Livestock is often fed harvested nourishment during the winter.

From their web site:

We havent . . . . planted a seed, own no plow or disk or silowe call those bankruptcy tubes. We practice mob stocking herbivorous solar conversion lignified carbon sequestration fertlization with the cattle. The Eggmobiles follow them, mimicking egrets on the rhinos nose. The laying hens scratch through the dung, eat out the fly larvae, scatter the nutrients into the soil, and give thousands of dollars worth of eggs as a byproduct of pasture sanitation. Pastured broilers in floorless pasture schooners move every day to a fresh paddock salad bar. Pigs aerate compost and finish on acorns in forest glens. Its all a symbiotic, multi-speciated synergistic relationship-dense production model that yields far more per acre than industrial models. And its all aromatically and aesthetically romantic.

I'd like to think that this is caused by extreme destitution, and employed to avoid starvation, but I can see that somewhere there are Ayn Rand-twisted "free market" house holds, where the head of household exploits the rest of the family. You'll have to excuse me for not considering it. It's a trifle alien to my view of family.

Corporations are obligated to make a profit for their investors. Any action that reduces earnings is considered illegal. They may be able to argue that some actions will avoid legal consequences which in the long run will increase earnings. In other words, being a good neighbor costs a corporation too much.

Non-profits are a different animal, except for where earnings are channeled into the managements pockets as compensation. When non-profits do try to mitigate a social problem, which reduce corporate profits, the corporations have more litigation power. Take farm cruelty for example.

Turns out he does (see above)

I suspect that the benefits of lignified wood comes from the amount surface area exposed.

Yup!

He does. Pigs acquire the intelligence of a 3 year old child. They are a very intelligent species. David Kirby in his book, "Animal Factory", recounts staying at a motel near a CAFO for pigs, and having to hear them scream all night long. The pig that Pollan shot, got to be a pig (raised by its mother, explore, have sex, and be free). I live about 30 min. from where he hunted, and there is lots of wilderness.

Ours are paper. I shop more frequently where stores give you more information about the food you buy, particularly produce.

I wanted to learn chemistry, and I had a college chemistry book, but nothing happened. Then I enrolled into the local college and was given more reading than seemed reasonable, and spent longer hours than I liked in the labs. I still have dreams of showing up for a class that I had been cutting, and being given a test that I wasn't prepared for, and waking up in a sweat. PTSD fer sure.

If I hadn't taken those classes, I'd never have gotten this far with chemistry.

My community is those that I see daily, or some of my neighbors, or those that I eat with.

I guess there are lulls in the fighting. We all need to be held, once in a while.

It has been shown that once a society reaches middle class, their birth rate drops. Presently Germany, and France can't maintain their population without immigrants.

War drought, or floods come to mind. I've read that we throw away 30% of the food that we buy. 30%!

That certainly is true for GMO corn.

I was getting at the over-population of our species. To me, it is madness not to offer birth control. As with the CO2, we need to slow it down, and reduce it. Then we will need a way for us geezers to bow out gracefully.

I think you mean extinct.

Aww!

I think this is where corporate greed comes into the picture again. If we stop consuming, they lose potential profits. Notice how many ads in the media pitch an image, and say very little about the product? PR works. Edward Bernais proved it. Lies can become reality.

Religion has meaning for many people, but for the fundamentalists, it is still manipulation. No more go forth and prosper, but wanting for the good ship "Rapture".

I thought you turned the soil. Good for you, if you don't. You're near a forest aren't you? Can't you gather leaves for mulch? Either way it would get the char out of sight.

Oy. The glare! Maybe we could just do white cars.

Sounds reasonable.

and I think that everyone with a smoke stack thinks it is too expensive, but it's something to tallk about while the greenhouse gasses increase.

Wood gas is a syngas fuel which can be used as a fuel for furnaces, stoves and vehicles in place of petrol, diesel or other fuels. During the production process biomass or other carbon-containing materials are gasified within the oxygen-limited environment of a wood gas generator to produce hydrogen and carbon monoxide. These gases can then be burnt as a fuel within an oxygen rich environment to produce carbon dioxide, water and heat.

What is your reference here?

They'll have to grow fast to make up for all the forest that is being cut in the tropics.

My only doubt is with the conversion of the wood to fuel/char.

In 1923, the German chemists Alwin Mittasch and Mathias Pier, working for BASF, developed a means to convert synthesis gas (a mixture of carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, and hydrogen) into methanol. A patent was filed Jan 12 1926 (reference no. 1,569,775). This process used a chromium and manganese oxide catalyst, and required extremely vigorous conditionspressures ranging from 50 to 220 atm, and temperatures up to

450 °C. Modern methanol production has been made more efficient through use of catalysts (commonly copper) capable of operating at lower pressures, the modern low pressure methanol (LPM) was developed by ICI in the late 1960s with the technology now owned by Johnson Matthey, which is a leading licensor of methanol technology.

Europeans plant lots of poplar for firewood. Forests are so thick that you can't see 5 feet into them.

Obama will be gone. The profits will be in the bank. "Let somebody else worry about it", will be the attitude of the financial elites.

Seems like the most likely scenario.

And we won't have the time to learn how.

I hope to have early ripening, mid ripening, and late ripening tomatoes, i.e. a long tomato season.

That's why they're good for making sauce. You don't have to reduce them as much.

You'd be sorry ;O)

You may want to look at too.

It won't be either if it is poisoned with carcinogenic confetti of plastic.

Never be deceived that the rich will allow you to vote away their wealth.

-Lucy Parsons

Or moved up the food chain by its predator.

In the predator.

Right back a'chew,

Wild

Reply to
Bill Rose

Ah, the polyface mythos.

Jay Green's post there - I'm not him so I don't feel that I should repost it here, but it was a different take on the mystical magical Polyface experience from a farmer who had read the books and believed in Mr Salatin until he visited the farm. I also see (and you can infer from a reply that is still there referencing it) that his first post in which he said what I've just said about himself has been removed, but I copied the whole thing in anticipation that it might be removed for shining a bit too much light on a sacred cow with scours.

Having only had Pollan's take on it before I read that, it was a contrast, to be sure. In short, he may have some good ideas, but he may not actually be using them in light of publicity and the opportunity to make money...

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Only problem I see is who the hell is Jay Green? I'm not saying that he is lying, but Pollan is an established journalist, and University professor. Who would you believe, and why? It would be easier if Mr. Green could make his bona fides known.

Reply to
Billy

Among other things, he's one of very few folks that can (or at least does) raise healthy cornish cross, and he's got actual farm experience, which I rather doubt Pollan has. And he freely admits that this is the observations of a single visit, but I would doubt he has much interest in making another, given that he's a farmer, not a reporter, and he wasn't overly thrilled with what he saw. Seems likely that post-Pollan publicity may have changed things at Polyface, but I really don't know.

Heck, he uses some of what Salatin writes about - he was just not too excited to go to the source and find that reality (at that time) did not match the writings.

He showed up on my radar in discussing fermented chicken feed, and pasturing/foraging cornish cross. The pictures of his cornish cross flock right up to slaughter day were impressive, having seen a flock which friends had in a "chicken tractor" that nevertheless ended up in the more typical bedraggled, lame, kill-me-now-please state that is considered "normal" for cornish cross. I have not raised cornish cross, but until I saw his, I wouldn't even have considered it (though I am presently "out of chickens" and just as happy to be, at present.)

As such, I consider his insight on raising chickens to be pretty well founded, to the extent that I can judge anyone on the internet I've not met. YMMV.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

I thank you for introducing me to Permies; . What groups does Jay Green post in, or is it just Permies?

Reply to
Billy

Several farming and poultry sites; when I was researching the use of fermented feeds, his stuff came up in several places since he's someone who does it and posts about it.

Be aware that permies is somewhat prone to being what its owner wants to hear - minor discussion is allowed, major disagreements vanish into thin air, leaving only what he agrees with (not even a "post deleted by moderator" message.) I thought more highly of it before I saw that happen a few times. I haven't been back much since then. I prefer to talk with grown ups, or wise children.

I like tree and bush crops and "permanent agriculture." When lazy and efficient are the same thing, I'm all for that kind of lazy.

permaculture-with-a-capital-P seems to be more about paying money to take courses to get certified to teach courses that you charge people money for so they can get certified, in my somewhat jaundiced view. I don't find it all that compelling, though it has produced some materials I think worthy of a read, so long as I'm not paying an arm and a leg for them, or required to believe (or pretend to believe) everything in them...but there are also good books on the subject that predate the certification-mad folks.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

You did see a Farm for a Future?

The first 2 parts presents the problems, and the last 3 parts try to answer them.

It's always good to question authority.

Reply to
Billy

I would really like to see a credible estimate of two things:

- The cost efficiency of wide scale permaculture, that is what would food cost compared to conventional agriculture a) on the market today b) taking into account long term costs of pollution etc, which almost never figure in our 'costs'.

- Whether it can really be sustainable in a closed system. The best examples that I have seen still use considerable external inputs. The answer is to this is in part tied up with how you define the system's boundaries but the dedicated are claiming that boundary is and ought to be at the property boundary - in which case I wonder if it is possible.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

here is a synopsis of a recent study.

are, of course, others out there. Bottom line from my reading is that organic and permaculture methods fall behind on grain production, but do better with other crops. It seems likely that for the forseeable future many farming methods will be required to sustain a growing population at affordable prices while minimizing damage to the eco system.

Reply to
Rick

Square one is to deal seriously with the "growing population" issue, but mother nature will do that eventually if we don't - it's just going to be much messier her way.

Grain is not really all that "permaculture" in nature, being (with few exceptions) the seed of an annual grass. Perennial wheat seems to be a subject of current research; It likely gives "less per-acre per-year" than annual wheat, as is typical of crops which have means other than seeds to carry on their genetics, but it also would not require annual tillage fuel, and soil loss from tillage and resulting wind and rain erosion. It may also need less fertilizer, and it offers the ability to use it for forage or hay as well as for grain, evidently.

Real permanent agriculture is not based on producing the same crops as annual agriculture, but (in large part) on producing end products using many tree or shrub based crops which you won't really find in a grain/annual based system. ie, it's not about growing corn.

As one fairly well researched and formerly common example, raising pigs on fruit, locust beans and acorns (which they gathered themselves) rather than on corn (maize, for the wider world) trucked to them in the delightful (I jest) facilities that are common now. For a decade or so there was even research into breeding better honeylocust for forage and even human consumption, but that was cut off (and cut down) something like 60+ years ago. The land with the trees growing on it also produced a sizable hay crop. Cows fed the beans as forage had increased butterfat, etc...

(_Tree Crops, a permanent agriculture_, J. Russell Smith, 1950)

There is ongoing but slow work in increasing domestic (USA) hazelnut (filbert) production east of the rockies. Problems include breeding past eastern filbert blight. Also, getting farmers to think about growing a crop that stays put and does not yield a great deal for several years, which is a hard sell for anyone carrying debt.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Rick wrote:

It's a shame that the paper is paywalled. To me the core question is not the relative yields but the productivity in relation to inputs and wider costs, the review doesn't mention whether this is covered in the paper.

The measurement of yield by itself is not that useful, one can have very high yields that are quite unsustainable.

One critic wailed that for the underfed of the world a drop in yield as described would be catastrophic. This is such a simplified and narrow view that conveniently dismisses the issue in one sweep. If the chance of catastrophe is to be a major evaluation criterion then there are many other possible catastrophes, such as soil destruction or conventional fertiliser becoming prohibitively expensive, that need to be considered when choosing a long term system of food production. And of course there are many non-catastrophe consequences and issues to consider. To collapse the evaluation down to only yield is inadequate to say the least.

The desire to simplify the world and the future into neat sound bites (that miss the point or tell half-truths) is very powerful in some quarters.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

yuck, yeah that's a turn off.

i'll talk to anyone (and apparently i have no sense of knowing when someone i'm talking to is drunk because i've had several happenings that would have been better avoided had i noticed the person was smashed).

:) i'm ok with some dirt moving for annual crops, cover crops, green manures and for digging up and dividing perennials. that's not the majority of what is going on here.

by far the most heavy work i do each season is to try to mitigate mistakes that others are making. right now i'm looking at minimally three weeks of this season that are or will be wasted due to the negative actions of others. that's from this point. in a few weeks there might be other things added to this list. the good news is that at least by spending the extra day this week i'll head off two-thirds of a future major pile of BS. i'll take my victories where i can find them...

yep, i was noticing this trend and then the usual call for organizing a regulating organization to make sure things were ok. all a bunch of yuck pretty similar to how "Organic" was corrupted by organizations and governmental fiddling.

anyone with a little time can find quite a few good references from "the old days.". i've been working on a list the past few weeks. when i get it done and posted i'll post a link to it.

i like to go around and look at projects and see if they've lasted and what the results have been. some are quite impressive. others folded due to lack of funding (it wasn't really permaculture then was it?) yet, if they've improved an area even a little and made it better then at least they've not done as much harm as could be done by more destructive methods.

the bones of projects are well worth examining. you can learn a lot. what works years later even when the maintenance folks are gone are the kinds of things you want to do yourself. learning by observing.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Besides the BBCs A Farm for a Future, the book , Gaia's Garden, Second Edition: A Guide To Home-Scale Permaculture (Paperback) by Toby Hemenway

(It's at the library)

is a good introduction to permaculture.

Looking at some of what's available for permaculture on the internet suddenly reminds me of the dictum of one of our local madams, Sally Stanford, "Never give away anything that you can sell."

Reply to
Billy

The problem with grain production is that you are talking about monocultures, chemicals, and possibly a second crop in a season.

Numero-uno: Monocultures produce less food per acre than inter-planted crops.

Numero-two-o: Planting the same crop on the same land year in, and year out will encourage crop pests to flourish.

Number-three-o: The cost of chemical fertilizers, and pesticides is linked to to the price of fossil fuels. As the price of fossil fuels go up, so must the cost of the yield.

Numero-four-o: The use of chemical fertilizers kills topsoil buy killing microorganisms (like salt on a snail), and the lack or organic inputs (manure, stubble). Dying and dead soil requires ever more chemical fertilizers to maintain crop yields. The nitrates poison the ground water, and the water table. Phosphates cause algal blooms, which when they die suck the oxygen out of the water, and give you "dead zones" at the mouths of rivers, further reducing available food. The nitrogen from chemical fertilizers is stored in the leaves of the plant. These are fast growing leaves because of the nitrogen. Insects are attracted to the leaves because of the nitrogen, which is easily accessed because the fast growing leaves are tender.

Numero-five-o: Lest we forget, GMOs don't produce more yield, and some GMOs do have nasty side effects on lab animals. GMOs do allow more biocides to be pour onto our food (Roundup), and introduce bacillus Thuringiensis toxins into our food.

Roundup has been shown to reduce crops, and bacillus Thuringiensis toxins and meant to kill insects, both beneficial, and pests. We are still trying to figure out what is killing off the bees that pollinate 70% of what we eat.

It's not just bees. We are losing our agricultural biodiversity with industrial agriculture.

Numero-six-o: You have none of the above problems with organic farming. Productivity in industrial agriculture is measured in terms of "yield" per acre, not overall output per acre. And the only input taken into account is labour, which is abundant, not natural resources which are scarce.

A resource hungry and resource destructive system of agriculture is not land saving, it is land demanding. That is why industrial agriculture is driving a massive planetary land grab. It is leading to the deforestation of the rainforests in the Amazon for soya and in Indonesia for palm oil. And it is fuelling a land grab in Africa, displacing pastoralists and peasants.

Numero-seven-o: Commercially grown fruits and vegetables are less expensive, are prettier to look at, contain approximately 10-50% of the nutrients found in organic produce, are often depleted in enzymes, and are contaminated with a variety of herbicides, pesticides and other agricultural chemicals. In comparing organically and commercially grown wheat, researchers found the organic wheat contained 20-80% less metal residues (aluminum, cadmium, cobalt, lead, mercury), and contained 25-1300% more of specific nutrients (calcium, chromium, copper, iodine, magnesium, manganese, molybdenum, nickel, phosphorus, potassium, selenium, sulfur, and zinc). Journal of Applied Nutrition, Vol. 45, #1, 1993.

Reply to
Billy

Reply to
none

The report was a mega study. It studied studies, and they get to pick who they will study. Long story short, you can pull a rhinoceros out of a top hat with a mega study.

Myths about industrial agriculture Organic farming is the "only way to produce food" without harming the planet and people's health.

by Vandana Shiva

Reports trying to create doubts about organic agriculture are suddenly flooding the media. There are two reasons for this. Firstly, people are fed up of the corporate assault of toxics and GMOs. Secondly, people are turning to organic agriculture and organic food as a way to end the toxic war against the earth and our bodies.

At a time when industry has set its eyes on the super profits to be harvested from seed monopolies through patented seeds and seeds engineered with toxic genes and genes for making crops resistant to herbicides, people are seeking food freedom through organic, non-industrial food.

Today's hunger is permanent and global. It is hunger by design. This does not mean that those who design the contemporary food systems intend to create hunger. It does mean that creation of hunger is built into the corporate design of industrial production and globalised distribution of food.

A series of media reports have covered another study by a team led by Bravata, a senior affiliate with Stanford's Centre for Health Policy, and Crystal Smith-Spangler, MD, MS, an instructor in the school's Division of General Medical Disciplines and a physician-investigator at VA Palo Alto Health Care System, who did the most comprehensive meta-analysis to date of existing studies comparing organic and conventional foods.

They did not find strong evidence that organic foods are more nutritious or carry fewer health risks than conventional alternatives, though consumption of organic foods can reduce the risk of pesticide exposure.

This study can hardly be called the "most comprehensive meta - analysis"; the researchers sifted through thousands of papers and identified 237 of the most relevant to analyse. This already exposes the bias. The biggest meta-analysis on food and agriculture has been done by the United Nations as the International Assessment of Agricultural Knowledge, Science and Technology for Development (IAASTD).

Four hundred scientists from across the world worked for four years to analyse all publications on different approaches to agriculture, and concluded that chemical industrial agriculture is no longer an option, only ecological farming is.

Yet the Stanford team presents itself as the most comprehensive study, and claims there are no health benefits from organic agriculture, even though there were no long-term studies of health outcomes of people consuming organic versus conventionally produced food; the duration of the studies involving human subjects ranged from two days to two years.

Two days does not make a scientific study. No impact can be measured in a two-day study. This is junk science parading as science.

Reply to
Billy

Billy wrote: ...

i'll add it to the list, thanks.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

he is taking materials from other places. these materials are what would eventually become a part of the topsoil in those locations. he's mining topsoil components from other locations.

well, that is the problem with any sustainable farming effort, that it must work within the broader society and economics to keep going. his farm has to make enough money to support him and his wife and children and the interns that stay there. he can't afford to not have money for taxes and the other basics needed that cannot be provided by the farm.

if i were claiming to be a sustainable farmer i'd be working with a supplier to fix the problem.

returning to my more local issue as one with a limited amount of land in trying to be as sustainable as possible i cannot raise both enough veggies in the current gardens and sell them to raise enough money to cover the taxes on the land let alone the other expenses of having this place.

for some people property and other taxes are reasons behind extractive agricultural practices. if property isn't taxed then it takes some pressure off people to exploit it.

i think that is a case where the company should be taken private or turned into a non-profit. if their social aims are broader than being a business then i think that is a more accurate classification for them anyways.

i still think you have a bit too jaded a view of corporations. not all are as bad as Monsanto or whatever the devil of the moment is.

it will be interesting to follow how they talk about "free speech" in one aspect (campaign funding) yet have this other limited speech in another aspect. they might try to justify it but i think the judges and juries are a bit more able to see through this. likely it won't ever see the Supreme Court. too obvious a bonehead law that deserves a spanking.

it happens.

ok.

ok, haha, good to know i wasn't far off in what i thought lignin was involved in.

they may have. hundreds of years experience and tradition of making terra preta they might have had a fairly sophisticated knowledge. unfortunately, we don't have any of their writings. a modern analysis of the layers at an undisturbed site would be very interesting.

...food wastage...

it's one of several tree crops that i'd like to grow and can't because of the climate.

he's one of my heroes. i wish him many more years of cranky intellectual poking.

bio-oil is a different topic. i'm not going there as i don't have petrochemical or specific refinery knowledge in detail (i do know something about refineries, distillations, catalysts and such, but that's about it).

now it's looking like it will be too wet for a while longer. days and days of rain. my water catches have gotten a good workout.

smaller works out better for ripening in uncertain times too as far as i'm concerned.

:)

as we put up most of the tomatoes we grow we need a regular acid tomato.

i did, finally, and ran away with my nose plugged and wishing i had tongs. it seems that Jared gets the anthropologists upset.

i don't see agriculture as a cause of things as i think that agriculture, cities and specialization came about all together as groupings of humans got larger. why they got larger is also a combination of many factors. one of those might simply be because it's more fun to hang with more people than to be alone for most people. loners are a minority. another reason could have also been for protection from other groups, i.e. weaponization when stone tools used to be the greatest risk a person had to face it wasn't quite the same thing but then slings, arrows, spears, and armor started showing up and people banded together as armies then in order to be safe you needed your homies at your back. out on the range no longer is as appealing when you might get run over by an army and your farm ransacked.

so, no, i don't put the ills of modern society on agriculture.

well then, clearly time to get started on such a large project.

incineration or refining could change or destroy those compounds.

...if only i were king...

plant propagation or water desalinization wise. i mean green house covers.

what if a person doesn't need that much? isn't a part of the destruction of resources by a greedy society the problem that people don't learn moderation? or that they aren't allowed to adjust their own demands because the system has a one-size fits all mentality (super-size me bucko)?

i dislike minimum wage legislation. since when do i want the government telling me what my labor is worth? what if i want to work for less for a charity or non-profit? i don't need a minimum wage. i need the government to get out of my way.

right now there are a lot of low skilled jobs that get done by sub-contractors or individuals and they are being paid cash. so no taxes are being collected for social security or medicare for those workers. they may never be in the position to become a full time worker.

...polyethylene plastic particles...

i don't eat that much fish any longer. i used to eat sardines a few times a week or canned tuna. then i discovered sashimi and lost my taste for canned tuna and the price of sardines went up too and i found out i'd much rather grow and put up as much of my own food as possible. instead of buying fish from thousands of miles away i'm eating more from foods grown a few feet away.

yes, i know about those.

i've also heard it being a method of cleaning up an environment by harvesting the bioaccumulators of such things and then incinerating them too. yuck.

this sort of problem is why i'm very much in favor of testing of all materials in use and recycling taxes. so we have the means for getting things cleaned up and taken care of.

i wouldn't eat parts of plastic knowingly. i try to avoid buying things packed in plastic.

as for pollution and plastic, you know i'd get on with cleaning it up no matter how much of it there is or how long it took. a 3000 sq mile floating mass is unlikely to be thick so perhaps it would be 3000 trips of a large tanker? get

100 tankers and that becomes 30 trips. processing and sorting would be a lot of work. yay for real jobs.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

In article , songbird wrote:

Seems like splitting hairs. The claim is that he is conjuring up 1" of topsoil/year. That's still pretty impressive.

(snipped for brevity)

I have no familiarity with that. What I have is a marginal growing environment, and I simply try too get more from what I'm given. Clear plastic over the mulch, and drip irrigation seem to be a good way to heat the soil and promote earlier harvests, but if you have a cool summer, there's not much you can do.

Duh. Federal land is nearly free, but it is exploited by ranchers, and mineral extractors.

$$$$$$$$ won't permit.

See the movie, "The Corporation", it's on DVD. It's also on YouTube.

The history of the Supreme court shows it is very susceptible to wealthy interests. I wish us all good luck.

So my wife tells me ;o(

The grain of the wood and the heat applied to it is also important in making black powder.

(another snip)

You may enjoy his encounter with William F. Buckley.

Our squash are in the ground i.e. 2 Portofinos, 2 Crookneck, and 2 Zucchini Romanescos. There are also some bitter melons, and zucchini replicante, that aren't ready yet for planting.

It sets in about 70 days, a prolific plant, and even though it is a hybrid, it's off spring are very similar to the parents.

I only have about 600 sq. ft. for everything.

While the case for the progressivist view seems overwhelming, it's hard to prove. How do you show that the lives of people 10,000 years ago got better when they abandoned hunting and gathering for farming? Until recently, archaeologists had to resort to indirect tests, whose results (surprisingly) failed to support the progressivist view. Here's one example of an indirect test: Are twentieth century hunter-gatherers really worse off than farmers? Scattered throughout the world, several dozen groups of so called primitive people, like the Kalahari Bushmen, continue to support themselves that way. It turns out that these people have plenty of leisure time, sleep a good deal, and work less hard than their farming neighbors. For instance, the average time devoted each week to obtaining food is only twelve to nineteen hours for one group of Bushmen, fourteen hours or less for the Hadza nomads of Tanzania. One Bushman, when asked why he hadn't emulated neighboring tribes by adopting agriculture, replied, "Why should we, when there are so many mongongo nuts in the world?" While farmers concentrate on high-carbohydrate crops like rice and potatoes, the mix of wild plants and animals in the diets of surviving hunter-gatherers provides more protein and a better balance of other nutrients. In one study, the Bushmen's average daily food intake (during a month when food was plentiful) was 2,140 calories and ninety-three grams of protein, considerably greater than the recommended daily allowance for people of their size. It's almost inconceivable that Bushmen, who eat seventy-five or so wild plants, could die of starvation the way hundreds of thousands of Irish farmers and their families did during the potato famine of the 1840s.

Besides malnutrition, starvation, and epidemic diseases, farming helped bring another curse upon humanity: deep class divisions. Hunter-gatherers have little or no stored food, and no concentrated food sources, like an orchard or a herd of cows: they live off the wild plants and animals they obtain each day. Therefore, there can be no kings, no class of social parasites who grow fat on food seized from others. Only in a farming population could a healthy, nonproducing elite set itself above the disease-ridden masses. Skeletons from Greek tombs at Mycenae c.1500 B.C. suggest that royals enjoyed a better diet than commoners, since the royal skeletons were two or three inches taller and had better teeth (on average, one instead of six cavities or missing teeth). Among Chilean mummies from c. A.D. 1000, the elite were distinguished not only by ornaments and gold hair clips but also by a fourfold lower rate of bone lesions caused by disease.

There are at least three sets of reasons to explain the findings that agriculture was bad for health. First, hunter-gatherers enjoyed a varied diet, while early farmers obtained most of their food from one or a few starchy crops. The farmers gained cheap calories at the cost of poor nutrition. (Today just three high-carbohydrate plants--wheat, rice, and corn--provide the bulk of the calories consumed by the human species, yet each one is deficient in certain vitamins or amino acids essential to life.) Second, because of dependence on a limited number of crops, farmers ran the risk of starvation if one crop failed. Finally, the mere fact that agriculture encouraged people to clump together in crowded societies, many of which then carried on trade with other crowded societies, led to the spread of parasites and infectious disease. (Some archaeologists think it was crowding, rather than agriculture, that promoted disease, but this is a chicken-and-egg argument, because crowding encourages agriculture and vice versa.) Epidemics couldn't take hold when populations were scattered in small bands that constantly shifted camp. Tuberculosis and diarrheal disease had to await the rise of farming, measles and bubonic plague the appearance of large cities.

[...]

Similar contrasts in nutrition and health persist on a global scale today. To people in rich countries like the U.S., it sounds ridiculous to extol the virtues of hunting and gathering. But Americans are an elite, dependent on oil and minerals that must often be imported from countries with poorer health and nutrition. If one could choose between being a peasant farmer in Ethiopia or a Bushman gatherer in the Kalahari, which do you think would be the better choice? (Search for it on the web: mistake_jared_diamond.pdf)

Read above.

(snip)

Awwww. Spoil sport.

You would like B.F. Skinner's book, "Walden II". People who tended flower beds got one wage. Those who worked in the sewers got several times more.

You would think that since all work deserves respect, that all work would give at least a living wage.

Best get your fish from down the food chain, not the top.

Packing Away The Poison Genetic mutation allows Hudson River fish to adapt to PCBs, Dioxins

2/17/2011

Some fish in New York's Hudson River have become "resistant" to several of the waterway's more toxic pollutants. Instead of getting sick from dioxins and related compounds including some polychlorinated biphenyls, Atlantic tomcod harmlessly store these poisons in fat, a new study finds.

2010, Scientific American p. 30 Chemical Controls Consequently, of the more than 80,000 chemicals in use in the U.S., only five have been either restricted or banned. Not 5 percent, five. The EPA has been able to force health and safety testing for only around

200.

Compounds that have a charge separation like water H+ H+ \ / O -- are called polar compounds. H H Chemicals like ethylene H-C-C-H have no charge separation and are H H called non-polar compounds. In chemistry like dissolves like. Water will mix with vinegar, but not a polar compound like oil. Oil will dissolve grease. Soap has a polar end, and a non-polar end. The polar end will go away with water, dragging the oil, or grease with it.

Dioxin, and PCBs are non-polar, and will accumulate, and concentrate these toxins.

That's my dictator ;o)

Reply to
Billy