Organic Farming Can Feed The World, Study Suggests

Page 2 of 2

Organic prices are actually going down, but don't let the facts stand in the way of your ardent defense of all things agribusiness.
--
Ann
e-mail address is not checked
Ann wrote:

Not in the Chicago area where I shop. If they are going down at all from their already inflated level, it is because people are beginning to catch on that much of this organic thing is just a way to scam them.
Sherwin

Only in your mind, Sherwin. You see the word Organic and lose all logical sense. Whatever are you going to do when the organic method is the norm? You'd better stockpile your beloved chemicals before they stop selling them due to lack of demand.
--
Ann
e-mail address is not checked
Ann wrote:

It's not the label organic that turns me off, it's the price.

Right now, organic produce is somewhat of a novelty. If the prices continue to stay high, nobody is going to jump on the bandwagon.
Sherwin

/archive/Buggywhip manufacturer's convention keynote address/market forces.pdf

Sherwin, what area of the country are you in? Because I can assure you organic produce is no novelty around here. You are truly beginning to sound completely out of touch, and a bit paranoid. Whether you like it or not, organics are here to stay, and will continue to grow, as more and more people become educated as to just exactly how manipulated our food supply is and how bad your beloved chemicals are for them. Thankfully!
--
Ann
e-mail address is not checked
Ann wrote:

I live in a northern suburb of Chicago where many stores like Whole Foods are pushing the organic thing. By novelty, I am refering to history over the past decade. I know organic growing has been around for a long time, but we are only seeing it in any great numbers over the past few years in our supermarkets and produce stores.

I never said organics is going away. I'm just waiting for the prices to come
down to a level where I can afford to buy them. I grow my own fruit and vegetables in our growing season, but in the winter I rely on store bought produce. Until the US government comes out with actual standards on organic foods, I can't trust something that is just labeled organic. Too many slick people jumping in here to make big profits. In the meantime, I will take my chances with non-organic food, but take necessary precautions to wash, peel, etc. anything that I think may be harmful.
Sherwin

You mean you are seeing it again. It was all organic until "too many slick people jumping in here to make big profits" came along in the form of patent and GMO seed producers and chemical manufacturers.

I'd offer that given the embedding of the chemical companies and their lobby within our government, the U.S. government may be the last people you want to certify anything. U.S.D.A. organic isn't.
There are NGO certification organizations that are competent, trustworthy, and thorough.

BTW, and belatedly.......thanks for the article. 'Twas a goodun, it prompted the resident ortho-rep and his side-kick to start squawking and drop trou, eh?
Care Charlie
Charlie wrote:

I don't think so.
Sherwin