Organic Buying spree.............

Page 1 of 3
I bought:
128 oz. Fish Emulsion = $17.99 1 gal. Hi-Yield Liquid Iron = $16.99 32 oz. Bonide Insecticidal Soap = $15.99 4 lbs. Dipel Dust = $3.99 4 lbs. Kelp Meal = $17.99
I can see why only Co-Op can afford to carry Organic products.

I need to go get some Medina.
--
Peace! Om

BTW, Kelp Meal is 3 lbs per 100 sq. ft. @ aprox. $12.75 per 3 lbs multiplied by 10 = aprox $127.50 just for Kelp meal for a small veggie garden. That's just for the Kelp. Shocking! That's a lot of money for a 1000 sq. ft garden if you're on a limited income (retired, disabled etc). Looking at some of the figures the man at the Co-Op gave us, it's much much cheaper to buy veggies at the local store or Farmer's Market. Apparently that's why no one buys organic fertilizers and the local stores don't sell it. The blood meal was unaffordable so I picked up ammonium nitrate as per the soil test.
I bought one the one bag of Kelp meal to try with some peppers and tomatoes kept over in the greenhouse this winter and outside next spring. But there is no way we can do this with the larger gardens we plan to have next year.

Hasta-gro is a liquid concentrate. It's supposed to be pretty economical?
--
Peace! Om

"Crime does not pay as well as Politics".

Have you figured out the cost for a 1,500 sq. ft. garden? Nothing economical about it. Humic acid is provided by the free compost we add every year. The fish emulsion is supposed to supply micronutrients.

I'm still just using the old composted soil from where the chicken and emu yards used to be, but your garden is bigger than mine. <g>
--
Peace! Om

"Crime does not pay as well as Politics".

I know what you mean. That's some GOOD stuff. When I kept dairy goats and chickens I always had several piles of manure in different stages of composting and no close neighbors to complain. Steam would be coming off them on cold days. :-)

I can still shovel emu turds for composting even tho' I just have the one pet bird now...
but emu turds are BIG.
Pauli weighs around 130 lbs. <g>
http://home.centurytel.net/Katraslink/KathyApollo2.jpg
My huggy girl. :-)
--
Peace! Om

"Crime does not pay as well as Politics".

so were they good eatin?

"Steve Young" <bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet> wrote:

Actually, the wild ones were. <g> I can differentiate.
Taste kinda like Venison... not chicken!
I gave away the two tame pairs.
The tastiest emu were the young ones roasted or smoked whole, skin on at about 16 to 32 weeks. Plenty wild when I let daddy bird set the nest and raise the young.
In emus, the female just lays the eggs. The rooster does all the work.
--
Peace! Om

"Crime does not pay as well as Politics".

Oh, my neighbors had some of these large birds. :-) After about 5 years they sold them. They were popular here about 10 to 15 years ago.

I got mine when the market dropped.
I did not pay 10K per bird. <g>
--
Peace! Om

"Crime does not pay as well as Politics".

They lost quite an investment as I understand. They're back to raising cattle.

A LOT of people did.

--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the

Phew!!! I was afraid you were going to jump off the edge Marie :(

mind sharing specifics for Kate and the locals?
"Steve Young" <bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet> wrote in message wrote >I bought:

Specifics? I don't understand. ?!??! I can't find most of these products (fish emulsion, Dipel) locally anymore. We had to drive to a Farmer's Co-Op about 30 miles from here. They still have a section of organic insecticides and fertilizers. We did have to switch from blood meal for nitrogen to Ammonium Nitrate.

Specifics like name, address, telephone and website of the Co-Op if they have one.
"Steve Young" <bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet> wrote in message wrote

Huh? They don't ship so why would you want that information?

"for Kate and the locals?" Suppose they could walk in and buy?
"Steve Young" <bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet> wrote in message wrote

Who is "Kate and the locals?" They're free to walk in and by at any Farmer's Co-Op. Just go in and ask for the Organic section.